USN 40MM Ammo Crate loaded in 11-44

Salvage Sailor

Aloha Everyone,

Not too many of these left lying about as most of them when over the side after use.

Ammo_Crate_001.jpg

Salvage Sailor

This is more of my 'booty' that came from the USS GRASP (ARS-24) when she was decommissioned in 1978. The crate was in the storage locker on the signal bridge with a bunch of other junk.

The gun it was used for, a 40MM AA gun, was also mounted on the signal bridge (see photo). The shack is just to the left out of the photos range. This crate may have been a memento of her action in January 1945, though that's only speculation on my part.

From her official record in DANFS:

From Pearl Harbor she headed for combat, reaching Manus, Admiralty Islands, 24 December to prepare for her role in the upcoming Lingayen Gulf operations. Joining the battle group, under the overall command of Admiral T. C. Kincaid, Grasp sailed for the Philippines 1 January 1945. Enroute the ships were attacked by heavy concentrations of Japanese aircraft, including the suicidal kamikazes. Overcoming all attacks, in which Grasp shot down one plane and assisted against others, the fleet forced its way deep into enemy waters and landed General MacArthur's troops at Lingayen Gulf 9 January. Grasp was there to assist battle damaged ships, and clear the harbor of sunken craft. In addition to aiding Warhawk and Otis Skinner, damaged by the Japanese, Grasp pulled two landing craft off the beaches and salvaged an enemy cargo submarine hazardous to shipping.

Ammo_Crate_002.jpg

Ammo_Crate_008.jpg

Salvage Sailor

AMMUNITION FOR CANNON W/ EXPLOSIVE PROJECTILE

We swabbies do like to 'reach out and touch' uninvited guests.

Ammo_Crate_003.jpg

Salvage Sailor

The markings on both ends are identical, but only one side is marked, the other is bare wood.

Ammo_Crate_004.jpg

Salvage Sailor

Close up of side markings

6 cartridges of High Explosive TNT rounds

Ammo_Crate_005.jpg

Salvage Sailor

Packaged in November 1944

G - G.B. CO

ROCKFORD, ILL

11-44

Ammo_Crate_006.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Salvage Sailor

It obviously did some time ago, but the wood is dry as a bone now, and not too tasty to cellulose creatures.

Nice! What was the ship, a destroyer? I also like the history that goes along with it.

Andrew

Neat crate!!! Here is a snapshot my father had. It was made during an air attack in Linguyen Gulf prior the landings. If you can make out the sky, there is a wall of lead put up and the dark speck near the center of the frame has an aircraft going down in flames next to it. Looking at the original pic with a magnifying glass, I've counted at least nine specks in the sky that could possibly be aircraft or shell bursts. I don't know for sure which vessel this was made from. Those shells may have come from your crate? Thanks!!!

post-2470-1210690042.jpg

• 1 month later...