Desert Boonie Cap

AndrewA74

Hello,

I got this Desert boonie cap recently and I'm wondering why the First Seargeant patch is brown, not black like the normal patch? Also, why is the tag white?

Andrew

PS: I put the normal patches beside the patch on the hat.

post-889-1207501048.jpg

post-889-1207501104.jpg

Is it possible that the patch is Theatre made? I've got a SPC patch that is brown instead of black, but this patch seems US made...Here's a scan of the tag. I've never seen a white tag... :unsure:

Andrew

post-889-1207501313.jpg

pwmiraldi67

Easy

The black on tan material 1st Gulf war till 2000

Brown on Tan 2001 till now modern

same with the CIBs and wings and such all of the black on tan was the 1st variation of subdued desert, brown on tan wings CIB and such started after the 2001 invasion of Afganistan.

paul

While we are on the subject, does anyone know if all the Marine Corps six-color desert boonie caps from the first Gulf war had EGA's stamped on them?

Thank you!

It is very likely that the hat you have, instead of being an issued hat, is rather a bought hat that someone bought from the AAFES store. They typically will sell a lot of Brigade Quartermaster and SpecOps gear.

It is very likely that the hat you have, instead of being an issued hat, is rather a bought hat that someone bought from the AAFES store. They typically will sell a lot of Brigade Quartermaster and SpecOps gear.

I thought the same thing because of the "DO NOT REMOVE THIS LABEL" notation on the tag.

New Romantic

Even the issue head gear's labels read "Do Not Remove".

I'm not so sure the hat shown is a Brigade Quartermaster hat. The SPO-100-03 contract date is an issue marking.

I bought a DCU boonie at the Ft Lee PX in 2002, a Brigade Quartermaster brand. The tag reads "Tru-Spec, is undated and the NSN number had been marked out with a sharpie.

Guest R. Hoq
While we are on the subject, does anyone know if all the Marine Corps six-color desert boonie caps from the first Gulf war had EGA's stamped on them?

Thank you!

Any uniform items that were shared with the army had to have the EGA "ironed on" by the individual Marine... well, that's at least what we did in Lejeune right before my unit shipped out to OIF 1 (note, this was before the digital cammies were issued to all the Marine Corps).