Experimental 6 color Desert Ripstop

bravo_2_zero

bravo_2_zero

im003589lp4.jpg

im003596qq8.jpg

Looks like a normal M81 .

Here's the Experimental bit

im003590zm4.jpg

Velcro pockets & Ripstop Poplin Material.

Tags...

im003593az7.jpg

**NOTE** No stock number, Maybe was wrote in Ink once given to test subject

im003595hp8.jpg

Always interesting to see experimental uniform items. That DAAK60 contract number shows it was issued by the U. S. Army Natick Research, Development and Engineering Center.

I've got a set of US made 2004/05 dated Ripstop 6 Color BDU's.

They are the exact same cut as a normal BDU with the exception of the epaulets.

The are 50 - 50 Nylon - Cotton.

The contract is SPM 100-05-C-0388 on the shirt and SPM 100-04-C-0438 on the trousers.

They are Iraqi Army issue.

uniforms106-1.jpg

uniforms107.jpg

uniforms110.jpg

bravo_2_zero

Fantastic w00t.gif

I love the classic 6 color camo, love it that much i have 3 full sets. I like how you get 2 sets and both are different, one maybe nearly all pink with a touch of brown, then other set maybe nearly all brown.

I've noticed however the quality on some of the early sets. I have early and late pants, the early 1984 ones are very shoddy made. They kind of on par with Rothco stuff where as the later date 1990 Propper are very high quality.

The Jackets too are kind of odd, the early stuff with shoulder/back flap are a lot smaller cut to the later stuff in the same size.

Are the Later Iraq issue gear Velcro pockets or Buttons ?

They have buttons on the pockets.

Do you have one of those reversible RDF to 6 Color M-1 Helmet covers? They used to be around everywhere but I can't find one now. crying.gif

I am not even sure they were US issue.

bravo_2_zero
They have buttons on the pockets.

Do you have one of those reversible RDF to 6 Color M-1 Helmet covers? They used to be around everywhere but I can't find one now. crying.gif

I am not even sure they were US issue.

Nah not a helmet person, All i have in the way of covers are: T-Patt Urban,Woodland,Blue urban ?,3/6 color desert and snow. Most came with a Helmet i bought.

• 1 month later...

Excellent thread here, as a long time Desert storm collector. I collected the Camo uniforms, and were extremely plentiful in the mid to late 90's.

It is not often found the Experimental ripstop poplin images found here.

I'll share the same but in Cotton Poplin.

Matt

post-3202-1211295046.jpg

post-3202-1211295059.jpg

Collectors have you seen this special forces airborne, note the shoulder strps and the pleats in the pockets, and heavy elbow reinforcement. similar to another post vietnam experiment set that I have from the 1980s.

Special forces airborne.

Matt

post-3202-1211295567.jpg

post-3202-1211295585.jpg

post-3202-1211295598.jpg

• 7 months later...

That last set, with the pleated billows pockets, is really interesting. Once I found an OD cotton ripstop jacket of that same design with straight pleated pockets and covered buttons but no epaulets, I think. It had the wide cuffs and also wide waist adjustment tabs, and it was also constructed with a yoked back. I found it where some drunk boater had left it on the shore of the summer camp I was working at, along with an old down GI sleeping bag. It was in very poor condition, faded and ripped, and my mother threw it out without telling me. Was the military experimenting with desert patterns before they developed the woodland BDU?

• 1 year later...

Hi I have a pants in DCU 6 colors camo, fabric is nyco 50% nylon 50% cotton.ripstop, made in usa by propper. 2 front quarter top pockets, 2 bellow cargo pockets, and 2 smaller pockets below those.2 back pockets, pockets close with buttons and or velcro.

• 3 years later...
Nick@OkiBoots

Really interesting info on the chocolate chip uniform, especially the rip-stop(later dates)and the Airborne Special Forces "version"? When we were issued the desert bdu's for deployment for the Sinai in 85' I do not recall seeing any versions with epaulets, but we did have two versions, one had the extra material in the neck-shoulder area(that alot of guys cut out", and the type I was issued which is dated 1982 and made by S.W.I. infact here is the label contents for my surviving jacket-same for trousers(Coat, Combat, Camoflage Desert Daytime pattern. MIL-C-43199 DLA100-82-S-3100 50%cotton 50%nylon S.W.I. 1982 USA). There was no internal back flap material in these and unlike what another poster said these uniforms were very-very well made. Interestingly the sleeve/elbow reinf material is not all one piece-it is two pieces folded over and stitched in with the main sleeve stitch line, I also had woodland bdu's like this issued to me in basic in 1984. The mention of O.D. ripstop in the woodland bdu style is accurate-we in the 101st were the last major unit to use the old slant pocket jungle fatigues as a hot weather uniform, everything was dated 67-69, even some of our boonies, but in jungle school couple of my buddies were issued straight pocket o.d. green rip stop jungle uniforms that had straight pockets-rein elbows, seat and knees(most guys didn't like them-they weren't old Nam style-ha ha. I can post some more detailed pics of my jacket and trousers if anyone wants to see them, also I think only the soldiers in the scout platoon recieved the subdued flag patch on one set, the other sets had a larger full color flag patch with a white border, which I never used again in the 101st for some reason we switched over to the yellow border.

post-110044-0-76579600-1370705811.jpg

post-110044-0-99733600-1370705819.jpg

I still have a pair of these in one of my "A" bags from Desert Storm. I got mine in the fall of 1990 before leaving SOCCENT at King Fahd Airfield to be a LNO at 1st MEF. The only patchs I had on mine were the (then unauthorized) SOCCENT patch on Velcro on the leeft shoulder, an American flag on Velcro on the other, and a leather aircrew style name patch, also on Velcro, over the left breast pocket.

Re. the ujiform with shoulder epaulets and pleated pockets, I seem to remember the Saudis and Kuwaitis wearing chocolate chips with those features in and after DS.