USN Belts & Buckles

Salvage Sailor

Salvage Sailor

Aloha Everyone,

These two (2) USN Enlisted belts & buckles were issued to me in bootcamp (Vietnam Era). We were issued two (2) Buckles and two each (2ea.) Navy Blue belts & White belts for our work uniforms (dungarees) and dress white/blue uniforms.

I had more belts that I picked up over the years, but I tossed all of them except these two.

002_USN_Belts___Buckles.jpg

003_USN_Belts___Buckles.jpg

005_USN_Belts___Buckles.jpg

006_USN_Belts___Buckles.jpg

Salvage Sailor

The Navy Blue belt was worn on my dungaree working uniform, and as you can tell, it's been around. The white belt was used for my dress whites.

The blue belt has a US issue RAU buckle & the white belt has a US issue ALCO BKL'N NY buckle

On the blue belt you can see my faded white stencil pencil info. This is always something to look for when you find USN belts from the post-war/Vietnam era. The white belts will have black stencil pencil info. (mine does not as this was a spare 39" belt).

009_USN_Belts___Buckles.jpg

014_USN_Belts___Buckles.jpg

015_USN_Belts___Buckles.jpg

Salvage Sailor

Here are some non-flash shots of the silver (enlisted) buckles so you can see them better.

019_USN_Belts___Buckles.jpg

018_USN_Belts___Buckles.jpg

017_USN_Belts___Buckles.jpg

020_USN_Belts___Buckles.jpg

Feel free to add on your own examples of USN Enlisted Belts & Buckles from any era.

Salvage Sailor

Found a couple more in my seabag.....

Navy blue USN belt w/shipboard buckle - USS LUCE (DDG-38) 1979

Post war Japan made - probably Korean War vintage - I wet the belt a bit so you could make out the white stencil

024_Luce___Korea_belts.jpg

Salvage Sailor

Post-WWII shipboard belt buckles come in several different styles and types.

The Korean era belt I showed above is named to a sailor - DOVE, M.D. with his serial number below his stenciled name.

These buckles were made in Japan and usually had a brass finish to them. The brass plates were welded to a standard US buckle, and then etched in relief style. They typically had the sailor's rate in the lower right hand corner.

I recently saw another one of these posted on the forum.

026_Korea_buckle.jpg

027_Korea_buckle.jpg

028_Korea_buckle.jpg

029_Korea_buckle.jpg

This particular buckle belonged to a Bo'sun (Boatswain's Mate). It has a large U.S.N. in the upper left hand corner, Mount Fuji in the center, and the Japanese Islands to the right. Cities named in Japan are USN ports of call - Sasebo, Hiroshima, Kobe, Tokyo, Yokosuka, Yohohama, Sendai. The Korean Peninsula is off to the left side, showing the 38th parallel. Seoul & Pusan are inscribed. Okinawa in in the lower left corner.

030_Korea_buckle.jpg

031_Korea_buckle.jpg

Salvage Sailor

These next buckles are also Japanese made. They were commonly worn from the mid-1950's thru the Vietnam era by Westpac sailors. They are stamped 'JAPAN' on the clasps.

032_Japan_buckle.jpg

033_Japan_buckle.jpg

Salvage Sailor

These are good, durable buckles, larger than the US issue and as you can see they were good knock-around work buckles.

034_Japan_buckle.jpg

035_Japan_buckle.jpg

Salvage Sailor

These buckles were completely made in Japan, with raised, high-relief ships welded to them, then chrome plated.

036_Japan_buckle.jpg

Salvage Sailor

The Fleet Tug Buckle is from the USS PAIUTE (ATF-159). As can be seen, it's 'salty' and well used during Salvage Ops. Most of our salvage ships were homeported in Guam, then later in Pearl Harbor or San Diego. A 6 to 7 month Westpac cruise which included time in Korea or Vietnam was common during these years. We also made ports of call in Japan, Hong Kong, Taiwan, P.I. and throughout Micronesia (Marianas, Carolines, Marshalls - the Trust Territory of the Pacific Islands, T.T.P.I. ) The PAIUTE buckle is an earlier one as evidenced by the etched black-filled lettering.

037_Japan_Paiute_buckle.jpg

Salvage Sailor

The USS LUCE (DDG-38) buckle is a bit later. I bought this one at the ships store in 1979. This style of Japanese buckle stated appearing in the early 70's. The buckles themselves are identical in manufacture, the difference being the lettering. The letters are now double-etched (two lines outlining each letter) and not filled. These buckles were still being sold in ship's stores until the mid 1980's.

037_Japan_Luce_buckle.jpg

Salvage Sailor

This next shipboard belt buckle is also Japanese made. It began to get into ships's stores in the mid-1970's as an alternate to the ZIPPO buckles then coming out. (I'll show some ZIPPO's later in the thread) They were made of chrome plated brass, highly polished, and carried a ship's crest in addition to an outline drawing of the ship. It was also the first introduction of color (enamel paint) to the buckles. The only problem was they were not nearly as durable as the relief types.

Ship's stores are supported directly by sales of items to the crew & it's up to the Supply officer & Supply CPO to purchase good for the store. The Japanese models were good knock-offs of the ZIPPO's and were cheaper to buy when we'd do a port call in Japan.

I bought this one in the ship's store aboard USS BOLSTER in 1978. As you can see, I chipped it one day while working on deck, exposing the brass underneath the paint. I started wearing my US buckle again after this, and kept the polished one for inspection or liberty calls.

There is no 'JAPAN' on the reverse, unlike the other Japanese models.

039_Japan_Bolster_buckle.jpg

040_Japan_Bolster_buckle.jpg

041_Japan_Bolster_buckle.jpg

Salvage Sailor

These two shipboard USN buckles are PI made (Philippines Islands) from the Vietnam Era. Most likely they were made in Olongopo (Subic Bay).

047_PI_buckles.jpg

048_PI_buckles.jpg

The plates are welded onto civilian versions of US buckles, which are stamped MADE IN THE U.S.A. The plates are marked TEXOMA LEATHER & BRASS, but these plates are definitely not brass. They are made of some kind of alloy or pot metal, that are then chrome plated. The plating is not as good as the Japanese made buckles.

The buckles are from the USS CONSERVER (ARS-39) & USS RECLAIMER (ARS-42), both part of our SERVRON 5 squadron homeported at Pearl Harbor, HI

042_Conserver_PI_buckle.jpg

043_Conserver_PI_buckle.jpg

043_Conserver_PI_buckle_reverse.jpg

USS RECLAIMER (ARS-42) with extensive wear showing the metal plate beneath the chrome

044_Reclaimer_PI_buckle.jpg

045_Reclaimer_PI_buckle.jpg

046_Reclaimer_PI_buckle_reverse.jpg

Salvage Sailor
This particular buckle belonged to a Bo'sun (Boatswain's Mate). It has a large U.S.N. in the upper left hand corner, Mount Fuji in the center, and the Japanese Islands to the right. Cities named in Japan are USN ports of call - Sasebo, Hiroshima, Kobe, Tokyo, Yokosuka, Yohohama, Sendai. The Korean Peninsula is off to the left side, showing the 38th parallel. Seoul & Pusan are inscribed. Okinawa in in the lower left corner.

Better photo of this buckle

065_Korea_buckle.jpg

Salvage Sailor
The USS LUCE (DDG-38) buckle is a bit later. I bought this one at the ships store in 1979. This style of Japanese buckle stated appearing in the early 70's. The buckles themselves are identical in manufacture, the difference being the lettering. The letters are now double-etched (two lines outlining each letter) and not filled. These buckles were still being sold in ship's stores until the mid 1980's.

It's difficult to get good shots of these buckled due to the highly polished chrome finish.

Here's an oblique close-up of the relief and lettering

059_Japan_Luce_buckle.jpg

Salvage Sailor

These are USN shipboard ZIPPO beltbuckles. Always difficult to get clear shots of these beauties due to the mirror chrome finish. I shot these with no flash atop a sheet of white paper.

049_ZIPPO_buckles.jpg

050_ZIPPO_buckles.jpg

Reverse sides

051_ZIPPO_buckles_reverse.jpg

052_ZIPPO_buckles_reverse.jpg

ZIPPO - USS ORTOLAN (ASR-22) a submarine rescue ship, circa 1970's

054_Ortolan_ZIPPO_buckle.jpg

and the USS LUCE (DDG-38), which I purchased onboard in 1979 at the ships' store

055_Luce_ZIPPO_buckle.jpg

another view of this ZIPPO, atop a sheet of white paper to show the design better.

069_Luce_ZIPPO_buckle.jpg

I have a few, which I really know nothing about. I could only find one tonight. Anything you can tell me about it would be greatly appreciated. There is no lettering on the front. My pictures aren't so hot.

post-2011-1203495409.jpg

post-2011-1203495420.jpg

Levi

• 1 year later...

Just found this thread and thought it interesting; thank you for sharing your US Navy buckles.

Just curious, why issue silver belt buckles to USNavy enlisted? Aren't the colors Navy Blue and Gold? why not brass? I would have thought the silver color would be for Air Force.

...why issue silver belt buckles to USNavy enlisted? Aren't the colors Navy Blue and Gold? why not brass? I would have thought the silver color would be for Air Force.

Silver buckles for E6 and Below. Gold for Chiefs and Officers. There are a lot of gedunk buckles out there. Every ship, station, warfare designation and paygrade have them.

The only time you are not allowed to wear them is at a formal inspection.

Jon B

Newaygo MI

Enlisted Navy wear silver until they make Chief and even then warfare devices stay silver.

As to these buckles the lower maroon box is marked cruiser the white box is marked APA the top maroon box is unmarked. The cruiser almost looks like the Long Beach based on the superstructure and three missle launchers. I also have one without a box that is a battleship and would date them from early to mid 60's.

post-2723-1260492111.jpg

Just found this thread and thought it interesting; thank you for sharing your US Navy buckles.

Just curious, why issue silver belt buckles to USNavy enlisted? Aren't the colors Navy Blue and Gold? why not brass? I would have thought the silver color would be for Air Force.

Prior to 1973, every one in the Navy did wear brass buckles. Then the Navy went mad for a few years and put e-6 and below in silver metal (actualy, pewter). When we all sobered up in 1980, they just left all the silver in place. Hated the silver stuff, just wasn't right.

Steve Hesson

Grizzly Adams

This is one of the brass buckles I was issued in boot in 67.

DSC01461.jpg

DSC01462.jpg

As I recall, this buckle was worn on the white belt with Whites, and on the black belt with dungarees. We also wore it on the black belt with the greens in Vietnam.

Later, while I was still in the reserves, the Navy had the "identity crisis" Steve has referred to, and we ended up with the silver colored buckle at some point. However, I don't recall wearing the silver one with the dress white uniform. It's been a long time, however, and I have slept since then! :think:

Prior to 1973, every one in the Navy did wear brass buckles. Then the Navy went mad for a few years and put e-6 and below in silver metal (actualy, pewter). When we all sobered up in 1980, they just left all the silver in place. Hated the silver stuff, just wasn't right.

Steve Hesson

Neat thread, thanks for starting.

I've put a couple of handmade versions in my book which will be out in Feb-Mar time frame.

-dan

I've put a couple of handmade versions in my book which will be out in Feb-Mar time frame.

-dan

I have a couple I had made in Subic over the years, but can't seem to load pictures on this forum. I have an AS buckle that came with a blue denim belt (still on the belt), an SM buckle for a regular belt and two civilian buckles I hade made. Really nice work.

Steve Hesson

-dan

By the way, just finished going through a draft copy of Dans book. Any one who thinks they might just happen to look at something Navy needs to have this book. Of all the services, Sailors have always been the most "Free and Loose" when it comes to uniforms and regulations ("Expressing individuality in a strictly regimented society"). Dan's book is going to lay it all out. This is a "Gotta Have". You couple this with John Staceys book and Jeff Warners books and you will see how it all comes together.

Thanks Dan

Steve Hesson

I dont know if any of mine survived have to look in my seabag. Every ship and most squadrons put out a buckle. I had a USS Nimitz and VP62. Dont remenber who made them. We were loose. We wore nomex flight jackets with patches on them. No two in the squadron were the same. Only time we were regulation was at formal events and inspections. LOL

Michael