88th Infantry Division Unit History

Alonzo

As you guys already know, I collect US military artifacts from the Civil War through to Korea, along with some Canadian stuff.

One of the US Infantry Divisions I specialize in is the 88th Infantry of World War One and Two, leaning heavily to World War One.

I have several copies of the cloth bound World War One unit history for the 88th. Such as the following;

Commanding Officer of the 88th in World War One,, Major General William Weigel

This book has been hand signed by M.G. William Weigel

My Latest acquisition is a leather Bound special Presentation issue of the 88th Division unit history with gold embossed cover and gold edged pages.

This special Presentation issue is embossed to a rather famous person in history!!!

YES...Theodore Roosevelt!!!!

Now the rest of the story;

The 88th Division unit history was copyrighted and published in August of 1919. Former US President Theodore Roosevelt died in January 1919. So, was this book intended for President Theodore Roosevelt, or for his wife, or for his son Theodore Roosevelt Junior.

Here is a connection. In 1918 an idea was developed about forming an organization that would serve the interests of the men of the American Expeditionary Force. Officers were assigned from various A.E.F. units in France to meet in Paris for this purpose. Two Officers of the 88th, Lt. Col Bennett C. Clark and Major Eric F. Wood were in attendance, as well as Lt. Col. Theodore Roosevelt Jr. These three officers (Clarke, Wood, and Roosevelt) were the originators of the idea of forming the American Legion. Roosevelt was appointed temporary Chairman and Major Wood as Temporary Secretary. Later Roosevelt was sent home and Lt. Col. Clark was appointed Chairman and Major Wood was appointed Secretary.

Now...it is obvious there is a connection to T.R.Jr. and the two officers of the 88th who formed the Legion? Was the book presented to T.R.Jr. in appreciation of his help in forming the legion and his service to the A.E.F.??? Or, was this book intended for Ex-President Roosevelt and then given to his son???

These questions remain a mystery and have been lost to history. The book has not been lost and is now residing in my personal collection.

post-22-0-64508100-1401649292.jpg

post-22-0-81670300-1401649294.jpg

post-22-0-45359400-1401649297.jpg

post-22-0-82289800-1401649318.jpg

post-22-0-56554900-1401649334.jpg

Nice book. I have a copy of the regular edition, and I think it's a pretty good division-level history. That leather-bound copy sure looks nice!

Pete

• 4 weeks later...