Entire divisions forming insignia & other emblems

Ricardo

(FORUM ADMIN NOTE: WE HAVE COMBINED TWO THREADS INTO ONE SO THERE MAY BE SOME REDUNDANCY)

This is INCREDIBLE ! The picture was taken in 1918. It is 18,000 men preparing for war in a training camp at Camp Dodge in Iowa. A gift from our grandfathers. ..

(BROKEN LINK REMOVED)

Regards,

Ricardo.

craig_pickrall

I wonder if that was done by the 77th DIV? A lot of the divisions did similar pics of troops forming the patch layout.

Some images of Camp Dodge:

(BROKEN LINK REMOVED)

The history of the 88th begins with the 88th Infantry Division. The division was organized on August 25, 1917 at Camp Dodge, Iowa. In August 1918, the division arrived in France. During World War I, the men of the "Cloverleaf Division," as they were called, fought with distinction in the Alsace campaign. The division returned to Camp Dodge and was demobilized on June 10, 1919. Two years later, it was reconstituted in the organized reserves at Minneapolis, Minn.

(BROKEN LINK REMOVED)

Headquarters and Headquarters Company:

Constituted 5 August 1917 in the National Army as Headquarters and Headquarters Troop, 88th Division. Organized 25 August 1917 at Camp Dodge, Iowa. Demobilized 10 June 1919 at Camp Dodge, Iowa.

Regards,

Ricardo.

• 4 weeks later...

A friend sent this to me.

Is this not the most unbelievable picture you have ever seen???

Has anyone came across this picture before?

This is comprised of 18,000 officers and men

Titled: The Human Statue of Liberty

at Camp Dodge Des Moines IA

Col WM Newman Commanding

Col Rush S. Wells Directing

Thanks

Chad

post-2002-1199913062.jpg

screaming-eagle

That is one of the coolest pictures i have ever seen.

I would not want to be the one to organize all this.

but it is truly spectacular.

I know, Its unbelievable and the amazing thing it was done during WORLD WAR 1.

THey had planes, but unless the photographer was in a HIGH TOWER, I dont see how they managed to get it so perfect.

I mean there are color changes (Light and dark), I was truely amazed.

Thanks

Chad

That is one of the coolest pictures i have ever seen.

I would not want to be the one to organize all this.

but it is truly spectacular.

You're not going to believe this, but I saw this exact postcard in an antique shop in Richmons, Virginia, this afternoon. I noticed it because it is so distinctive.

Bill

I have seen other photos of soldiers forming some sort of object. The two I recall seeing are the Liberty Bell and an anchor. I'm sure there are others but I can’t think of them at the moment.

Brent

There are quite a few of these photos, that were taken during WWI. Most have an entire division of troops, forming the division shoulder sleeve insignia. As I remember, the guy that took these traveled from post to post. This is a long shot but I think (?) the article may have been in Gil Sanow's Footlocker, many, MANY moons ago? Gil - are your ears burning, lol?

screaming-eagle

yeah, i have seen others of divisional insignia, but this one is spectacular i love the detailing of the robe with the lighter color

A cropped version of the same Statue of Liberty photo is in the WWI insignia and decorations issue of The National Geographic Magazine (December, 1919, page 552). A few other patriotic formations like this one are in this issue as well. The largest shown was at Ft. Custer, Michigan: 30,000 officers and men.

I have a book on the people of Yankton County, So Dakota that Served during WWI. It has that picture and several others. Amazing isn't it

I don't remember which one but this photo was in a newspaper here in Washington about a month or 2 ago. Some of the "old Fashion" things that were done in the past should be tried again, the amount of work and planning that went into shots like these is would drive people today crazy :blink: if they could not use their computer to figure it out.

Bill

Those are some amazing pictures. They remind me of a picture I saw somewhere of troops of the 2nd Division forming the famous "Indianhead" shoulder patch. Shield, star, Indianhead, and all. I wish I had the picture so I could post it.

Those are some amazing pictures. They remind me of a picture I saw somewhere of troops of the 2nd Division forming the famous "Indianhead" shoulder patch. Shield, star, Indianhead, and all. I wish I had the picture so I could post it.

Here's an article about these photos: http://www.mysanantonio.com/opinion/column...en.2114caa.html

And here's info about E. O. (Eugene Omar) Goldbeck who did the "living insignia" photos 1925-1947: http://www.lib.utexas.edu/taro/uthrc/00265/hrc-00265.html

2ndinsignia.jpg

27thinsignia.jpg

Here's an article about these photos: http://www.mysanantonio.com/opinion/column...en.2114caa.html

And here's info about E. O. (Eugene Omar) Goldbeck who did the "living insignia" photos 1925-1947: http://www.lib.utexas.edu/taro/uthrc/00265/hrc-00265.html

post-214-1200040695.jpg

post-214-1200040705.jpg

That's the one!

I didn't know the 27th Division did one, too. Amazing :)

In 1932 E.O. Goldbeck returned back to the Territory of Hawaii to take another formation of the "Living Insignia of the Hawaiian Division". This photo is a birds eye view likely taken by the 11th Photo Section of the Divisional Air Service. In the foreground you'll see a tower that was built for Photographer Goldbeck. It was built by the 3rd Engineers and measured a 117 feet height at Schofield Barracks. Over 15 miles of tape was staked out for the soldier of the Hawaiian Division to stand within. This insignia required about 8500 of the troopers which was almost the entire Division. I have old roll out photos that show the formation breaking apart and the final result. Up at Schofield Barracks Tropic Lightning Museum there is a photo poster that has the formation in center and around its border the Division's different regiments coat of arms. To bad one wasn't done for the Hawaiian Department too.

post-1384-1200085338.jpg