MAC-V-LRRP Small Nylon Rucks

Guest Alaskan Scout

Guest Alaskan Scout

So my friend tells me he has something for me..He says some old fella passed and left some military stuff he has no use for and i can have it...I find this bunch of jems staring at me..They even have the side cargo straps

I couldn't believe my eyes...Not one but TWO..intact..liners inside BOTH and the instructions inside the flap map pocket..and a nice Nam ears 2 QT canteen..

Now i just have to figure out what i wanna do with it...Im a European gear guy..

00010202.jpg

00010203.jpg

00010204.jpg

00010184.jpg

00010188.jpg

00010189.jpg

00010191.jpg

00010192.jpg

00010185.jpg

00010186.jpg

Nice tropical rucksacks, they were used a lot,they were even used by the Army late in the war, they're not just a LRRP item. Nice canteen set, lucky it has the correct sling.

Guest Alaskan Scout

I guess the strap makes it more desirable/worth more? And yes i was happy when i took it out of the case and it was sitting under it...

I guess the strap makes it more desirable/worth more?

It's usually missing. Realistically the set is worth around $50, but you could probably make more on ebay.

I've seen a few of these, but NEVER with the liners. Justin is right, use wider than just LRRPs. They both appear to have the "kidney pad" that tensions the frame. Those are often missing too. I hope you treated your friend to a frothy grownup beverage or 6! Nice finds.

Tim

Guest Alaskan Scout

Ive done a few searches but came up with just about nothing..I guess they go by a few names..any help to their value would be appreciated...Im nto sure what to do with them..

Guest Alaskan Scout
I've seen a few of these, but NEVER with the liners. Justin is right, use wider than just LRRPs. They both appear to have the "kidney pad" that tensions the frame. Those are often missing too. I hope you treated your friend to a frothy grownup beverage or 6! Nice finds.

Tim

Noted..im not an expert....just used what i knew as a lable..thnx!

I was issued this model in August 1970, from MACV HQ CIF at Tan Son Nhut. Same for the 2-qt canteen. They were the standard issue for MACV advisors then....far beyond LRRP use.

Now i just have to figure out what i wanna do with it...Im a European gear guy..

Well, I might have to call my buddy that's an expert, and it's going to take up alot of space in my shop man cave, so I can give you $5 bucks for them. Really.

Ive done a few searches but came up with just about nothing..I guess they go by a few names..any help to their value would be appreciated...Im nto sure what to do with them..

They "go by" what the Army called them, Tropical Rucksacks, and they are not rare or exotic items. More scarce that the Lightweigt Rucksack, maybe, but not exclusive to LRRP, SF or whatever. I got mine in Alaska from the Army Clothing Sales Store in 1972.

Guest Alaskan Scout
Throw them up here on the board, betting they will move with a nice price.

I have had some interest in them just from this thread.....to be fare, i have no clue what a good price is...I saw some online that were worn to hell going for 50-75$..so im suspecting these are worth far more to someone else..id like to find someone that would appreciate them..

Guest Alaskan Scout
They "go by" what the Army called them, Tropical Rucksacks, and they are not rare or exotic items. More scarce that the Lightweigt Rucksack, maybe, but not exclusive to LRRP, SF or whatever. I got mine in Alaska from the Army Clothing Sales Store in 1972.

Interesting as these are in Alaska too..However ive been around militaria my entire life..More shows and surplus stores then i could ever remember and these two are the first Ive ever seen in real life...So in that respect, id say they are rare and exotic..

They are certainly not a rare item. Maybe up in Alaska. But if you knew what they were or wanted to find one you would have a fairly easy time finding one.

Here is the early CIDG ruck used by LRRPs, Rangers and SF teams. CIDG stands for Civilian Irregular Defense Group which was the Montagnard hill people advised and led by U.S. S.F. advisors. These rucks were sterile with no markings and were a copy of the NVA ruck.

post-264-1315944541.jpg

Here is the early CIDG ruck used by LRRPs, Rangers and SF teams. CIDG stands for Civilian Irregular Defense Group which was the Montagnard hill people advised and led by U.S. S.F. advisors. These rucks were sterile with no markings and were a copy of the NVA ruck.

Here is a view of the back of the CIDG ruck. There is a poncho pocket on the back but it doesn't show up very well. There are tie strings to lash on extra gear.

Retired

post-264-1315944715.jpg

I carried the same "Tropical Rucksack" in the 3/22nd Infantry / 25th Division in 1970 and they were not uncommon but the "Lightweight Rucksack" with external tubular aliuminum frame / packboard was more popular.

There was a Tropical Rucksack offered for sale here recently: usmilitariaforum / for sale

There is a good overview of the developement of the Tropical and Lightweight Rucksacks here plus links to several current ebay offferings. Vietnam Gear

M C

Guest Alaskan Scout
I carried the same "Tropical Rucksack" in the 3/22nd Infantry / 25th Division in 1970 and they were not uncommon but the "Lightweight Rucksack" with external tubular aliuminum frame / packboard was more popular.

There was a Tropical Rucksack offered for sale here recently: usmilitariaforum / for sale

There is a good overview of the developement of the Tropical and Lightweight Rucksacks here plus links to several current ebay offferings. Vietnam Gear

M C

Good reply..its helped..thanks..