WWII: The paras and their war pigeons

Gregory

Hi All,

Are there any records indicating how many times the US WWII airborne troops used their pigeons in crisis situation when all other methods of communication were out of order or unavailable?

Did paramarines have their own pigeons as their Army fellows had them during WWII? Did they use them in combat?

Do you know if war pigeons were carried by gliders?

Best regards

Gregory

• 1 month later...

OK, in order to calm this intense debate take a look what the US War Department wrote about pigeons in June 1944:

IV. Tactical use of pigeons in World War II

D. Airborne Troops

While operating behind enemy front lines, at which time radio silence is imperative. A canvas chest corset, which holds two birds, and a collapsible wire container with parachute have been standardized for use with airborne units. This chute and container with birds may be dropped to isolated units, thus providing a means of communication.

Source:

Pigeon Communication General Information

Restricted

War Department

The Military Intelligence Training Center, Camp Ritchie, Maryland

June 1944

They also provided an excellent supplement to the meagre K-rations (in emergencies only, of course) Just like eating the pages from a code book when compromised.

:yucky:

Here you go Greg!

http://pigeonsincombat.com/thepigeoneerswebpage.html

Ian :thumbsup:

A very good link, thank you Ian. I am quoting something from this link:

"The Army had the Maidenform Brassiere Company make paratroopers' vests with special pigeon pockets."

Does anyone know that "paratroopers' vests with special pigeon pockets"?

post-8022-1317926200.jpg

Ah ha, this model I know and have. I thought they describe something experimental or manufactured in very short run and for more than one pigeon.

Thanks, best regards

Greg

I can imagine a reaction of the other soldiers seeing a trooper wearing such a bra! :lol::lol::lol:

No wonder that there is lack of images with the paras equipped with this sexy gear. :blush:

I can imagine a reaction of the other soldiers seeing a trooper wearing such a bra! :lol::lol::lol:

No wonder that there is lack of images with the paras equipped with this sexy gear. :blush:

The most important feature was the quick-release strap/buckle! :whistling:

• 11 months later...
Do you know if war pigeons were carried by gliders?

The answer came in the newest Peter Hendrikx & Michel De Trez's book "D-Day Minus – 17 September 1944. Pictorial History of the 101st Airborne Division Prior To the Invasion of Holland", pages 147-149.

Thank you authors! :)