Sampling of fake insignia from one dealer

Tonomachi

I went to an insignia show in Northern California yesterday and saw a long time dealer out of Arlington, Virginia, who has been busy over the years traveling to and from Vietnam and Thailand making copies of a variety of insignia. He shows them original pieces and even provides the specific types of material (cloth, felt, etc.) to be utilized in the making of these insignia so they come out pretty close to the originals. Some of these pieces are really scary as they look very good and fooled me. With some you have to view them side by side with originals to tell the difference. This dealer is selling them as copies however everyone knows that once they leave his hands they end up with people who try and deceive us on places like eBay. This is just a sampling as I ran out of power in my camera as there were four huge clear plastic clothing containers full of patches. Really discouraging to say the least.

post-1389-1193080901.jpg

post-1389-1193080913.jpg

post-1389-1193080926.jpg

post-1389-1193080937.jpg

Yes, it is discouraging. We have the same problem here in France. The same source in Thailand is faking everything rare in french militaria. From DIs, patches, helmet ornaments, medals and orders, etc...to uniforms, equipments.

Another source in Vietnam is making german scope metal cases, ZF mounts, shades, etc...

BIF !!!!! BOP !!!!! ZAP !!!!!

w00t.gif Holy Crap !!!! Batman. That sucks more than a Hoover vacuum cleaner.

Oh well I'll have to wait for the experts to come up with a book on the details of the differences. I damn sure am not smart enough to spot them. :blink:think.gif At least I don't collect the Nam stuff but the WWI stuff is scary. crying.gif

Some of the fake Nam patches are really scary indeed. The Vietnamese Ranger scrolls and "japan made" Seal patches could easily fool me, once sewn onto a uniform.

nguoi tien su

I would say that most of the "machine made" are made in Thailand whereas the "hand made" are sewn in VN, through 3 different channels...

As for the machine made, an old machine as been bought.

disgust.gif

NTS

• 3 years later...

I know the dealer well. He is very honest & I delt with him for original WWI items for decades. His repro items are all made in Vietnam.