Some of my medals (Medal of Honor)

jweitkamp

johnnyrocket

Beautiful display jweitkamp.

A great presentation of a collection is a thing of beauty. :)

Johnny R.

LuftStalg1

What a great start to your life of collecting, thank you so much sharing part of your amazing accomplishment!

:bravo:

Super collection and nicely displayed too!! :thumbsup:

I'd love to see some close ups, especially of the DSC's.

Thanks for sharing.

Great group of LOM items.

I would love to see some shots of the WWII LOM Chief Commander cased set.

I hope to have one some day.

Javelin4life

:jeal0001: :jeal0001: :jeal0001: :jeal0001: Oh my goodness...reiogtsnraeiosn21543....sorry about that, that was my jaw hitting the keyboard..AMAZING collection :w00t:

Looks like this collection should be immediately delivered to my home for safekeeping and hiding.

Awesome high test collection....I love the LOM series as well....just spectacular...are all the decorations older strikes or mixture of early and later strikes?? I particularly love the WW II cases, just great...

LuftStalg1

Good eye Chris. I saw the ribbon and just figured "Oh just another you know what" but Tiffany turns me on! I was too busy oggeling over the Medal of Merit and Medal of Freedom sets and the Typhus Commission Medal sets and the Specially Meritorious Service Medals! Yes, yes individual shots would be wonderful! You may have just created more work for your self Mr. Weitkamp but well be friends for ever. I don’t think I could accomplish this in another 50 years. Just boggles the mind! :jeal0001:

Guy's before you post more pics of Medals of Honor, I suggest you read the following, posted by one of our fellow board members:

Most people unfortunately thought (in the past) that the MOH rules were: can't buy, can't sell, but you can own. Recent (within the last year) actions by the FBI in confiscating a collector's legitimately purchased "pre-ban" MOHs changed that idea.

The explanation of the FBI was this: Medals of Honor have always been contracted by the US Government and only by the US Government for US Government use. This does not apply to all other medals: they have been contracted for approved manufacture by multiple manufacturers, and those manufacturers were (and are) allowed to sell those awards commercially via military exchanges, etc. In contrast, the MOHs were manufactured strictly for the purpose of awarding them to MOH recipients. In other words, 100 were made under "X" contract, therefore, those 100 were meant to be issued out to 100 recipients - NOT to be sold at military exchanges, etc.

SO...with that understanding, the FBI considers ANY Medal of Honor owned by a collector, unless documented as being given to the collector by an actual Medal of Honor recipient (and that's frowned upon as the recipients are technically not supposed to purchase additional Medals unless they lost/misplaced their original...so why would they have "spares" to give away?) all other MOHs in collections are illegally owned and are considered by the FBI to be counterfeit.

Wait...counterfeit? Yes. Because all MOHs are purchased in exact numbered contracts and all of those are signed for as controlled items, any MOH that is in a private collection was thus not part of the contract authorizing it's creation and was thus manufactured illegally...just as if someone made dollar bills on their own printing machine. They might look the same, they might even smell the same. But if you aren't contracted by the government to be an authorized dollar-bill printer, then you just made counterfeit money.

What happens when you have counterfeit money? No matter how much you paid for it, you have to surrender it when you are caught with it. Or, you face jail time for possessing counterfeit money. The same thing applies to the MOH...since all of the MOHs in legitimate contracts are accounted for, any MOH (made at any time in the past, to include Civil War) that was sold on the open market was thus a counterfeit item and should be confiscated.

In this particular case, this collector was turned in to the FBI by a fellow collector. The FBI initially offered the collector the "opportunity" to turn the medals over to the Medal of Honor Society for their safekeeping. However, the collector hired a lawyer who argued that since the MOH Society is not a government organization, they couldn't legally have them either. Thus, it was agreed upon that, in lieu of fighting in court (and running a legal bill well into the five-digit range) the collector's MOHs would be turned over to the FBI, and just as they would do with counterfeit money, the FBI would destroy them - and they did.

People can argue the validity of the FBI's argument all day long, however, this REALLY happened to a REAL collector who legitmately purchased MOHs openly available prior to the ban, and these particular MOHs were manufactured in the 40s/50s, well before the HLI back-door debacle.

I personally know someone this happened to. It is NOT an urban myth. Plenty of people (besides legitimate collectors) watch this board, and are not afraid to drop a dime on a collector who posts a "counterfeit" MOH here.

If you have or know of a legitimate, named MOH, you should be ok. But any unnamed MOH, from any era, is considered counterfeit and you may be contacted by Federal Law Enforcement as asked to turn in your counterfeit government property!!

thanks for the compliments and sage advice, everyone... I'll get some close ups in as I get time over the next week Most everything in here are early stikes; the Brevets are the early high quality studley strikes... Like everyone I'm always looking for key pieces so I'll list those as I go along as well;

!. Need to upgrade my wrap brooch NMC medal; my current one shows some use and fading on the ribbon. Also need the colored coffin case; have the short titled case

2.Looking for the green coffin box for early Navy/USMC Air Medal

stay tuned...

Beautiful collection, and nicely display.

Nice editing on the original post as well, and a damn shame it has become necessary.

4STARCHRIS

Don't you think it would be fair to the person who has placed a post on a forum members thread that if it became "obsolete", someone would be so kind as to inform the member who is being DELETED and why?

Moderators, what was said or done wrong with my post and why was it removed?

Notification would have been appropriate do you not think?

This aggravates me.

4starchris

canadian bacon

any chance of getting some close ups of the the medal of merit ?

:love:

I'm going to try and get to it soon; I have two variations, one is Blackington marked and one has the ultra rare titled case...

any chance of getting some close ups of the the medal of merit ?

:love: