Meet Milo "Bill" Ludy, 501 PIR

Brian Keith

Milo "Bill" Ludy of Portland, IN; Co. G 501st Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne Division.

Here he is in his Class "A" uniform with his M1 Rifle. This was probably taken in Georgia. Notice the tar paper barracks. Notice his paratrooper boots, paratrooper insignia on his overseas cap, and just barly visible are his wings. Not apparent in the photo is that he a a newlywed man with his young bride back home.

post-1549-1191849079.jpg

Milo "Bill" Ludy of Portland, IN; Co. G 501st Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne Division.

Here is Ludy in a formal studio portrait wearing his M1942 Paratrooper Jacket, with all the trimmings. This young man looks the very essence of cockey paratrooper!

post-1549-1191849324.jpg

In a letter written on May 25, 1944, to his brother in law, Lee Atha who was also in the Army, Bill writes, "The sooner things start popping the better I'll like it and I aim to be in on it. The sooner we all get in there the sooner we'll all get to go home. If I ever get back to Portland I'll never leave the old town again."

On the night of June 5, 1944, ludy and his comrades loaded into C-47 aircraft # 43-30734 of the 77th 77th Troop Carrier Squadron, 435th Troop Carrier Group for the Invasion of Europe.

The whole story of this aircraft is told in the book, "D-Day + 60 Years" by Jerome J. McLaughlin. McLaughlin's uncle (SSgt David Mackenzie) was the radio operator on the plane Ludy was assigned.

post-1549-1191849946.jpg

Milo "Bill" Ludy of Portland, IN Co. G 501st Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne Division.

Ludy's plane was hit by two anti aircraft shells moments before arriving over it's DZ. The first shell hit the front of the aircraft and probably killed the forward air crew, the second hit near the tail. The plane tumbled from the sky, three paratroopers were able to get out, Ludy and the rest of the brave soldiers and airmen died about 1:20 AM, June 6, 1944, Normandy, France.

post-1549-1191850240.jpg

Milo "Bill" Ludy of Portland, IN Co. G 501st Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne Division.

Killed In Action June 6, 1944, Normandy France.

In a letter written on May 25, 1944, to his brother in law, Lee Atha who was also in the Army, Bill writes, "The sooner things start popping the better I'll like it and I aim to be inon it. The sooner we all get in there the sooner we'll all get to go home. If I ever get back to Portland I'll never leave the old town again.

post-1549-1191850336.jpg

Ludy's grave, near Portland, Indiana, his final resting place.

• 1 month later...
IMPERIAL QUEST

"...If I ever get back to Portland I'll never leave the old town again."

It is chilling to read these words, and then look at his grave.

Exceptional Heart, and a very special memorable keepsake. I love these Hearts.

very nice Brian

Was he carried as MIA for w period of time before he was classified as KIA ? The reason I ask is because that medal would not have been issued until mid 1945 based on the engraving style.

Kurt

Interesting, I don't think he was listed as MIA. I will have to look at the items again. I think the widow was notified fairly soon. We don't have the shipping box for the PH but have a few other things. They came directly from the widow a very few years ago.

BKW

Interesting, I don't think he was listed as MIA. I will have to look at the items again. I think the widow was notified fairly soon. We don't have the shipping box for the PH but have a few other things. They came directly from the widow a very few years ago.

BKW

There can be many reasons for a time delay on the issuance of the medal, but a later "finding of death" due to being kept in MIA status for a " year and a day " is the most common reason. Often, the body might be recovered later and the FOD date would have been revised to the intitial MIA date too. Only the IDPF will tell for sure unless you have all the original paperwork.

Kurt

A true patriot. Eager to fight for his country. It's a terrible shame he didn't make it, but that's the cost of freedom. Thanks for sharing this.

• 1 year later...
Brian Keith

To Honor those who participated on "D-Day", I'm bumping this up today.

Some of you folks may not have seen it.

BKW

Brian Dentino

Very nice and a great tribute to a brave man that gave his all for all of us! Thanks for bumping it up to the top for those of us that hadn't seen this one before. thumbsup.gif

To Honor those who participated on "D-Day", I'm bumping this up today.

Some of you folks may not have seen it.

BKW

Brian,

Thanks for bringing this thread back up. I don't think I saw it the first time around.

This is a fitting tribute to honor all of those who fell on that day.

BigJohn#3RD

Ludy's plane was hit by two anti aircraft shells moments before arriving over it's DZ. The first shell hit the front of the aircraft and probably killed the forward air crew, the second hit near the tail. The plane tumbled from the sky, three paratroopers were able to get out, Ludy and the rest of the brave soldiers and airmen died about 1:20 AM, June 6, 1944, Normandy, France.

post-1549-1191850240.jpg

Here is the General Order for the issue of his Purple Heart. You can write for a copy of it at a records holding area in College Park Maryland.

Ludy, Milo W., PFC, 501st Parachute Infantry, 101st Airborne Division Purple Heart (101ABDivAGOBD)

• 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...