Victory Medal ribbon question.

Sabrejet

I've got a number of original WW2 period ribbon bars both on/off uniforms which feature the Victory Medal ribbon. However, a couple of the VMs feature a bronze star whilst others have small holes where an appurtenance...presumably a bronze star...was once attached. I'm well aware of the symbolic nature of bronze stars on campaign ribbons, but why on the VM too? Thank you.

Sabrejet :think:

There are no devices authorized for WW2 victory medals.

Thanks Brian...hence my question. Nevertheless, these are period pieces with single bronze stars!!

Ian :think:

I have heard that some vets put the stars on their ribbons if they were in both the PTO and the ETO during the war. Also a story that if the vet was in during WWI, he would put a star on his WWII Victory Medal.

I'm sure there are more stories. :thumbsup:

I have heard that some vets put the stars on their ribbons if they were in both the PTO and the ETO during the war. Also a story that if the vet was in during WWI, he would put a star on his WWII Victory Medal.

I'm sure there are more stories. :thumbsup:

Thanks JS...I wondered if there was a WW1 connection. That said, if the wearers were WW1 vets I'd expect the bars to be more than regular triples, which is what these are.

Ian :thumbsup:

Thanks JS...I wondered if there was a WW1 connection. That said, if the wearers were WW1 vets I'd expect the bars to be more than regular triples, which is what these are.

Ian :thumbsup:

Perhaps the bars were just the ribbons worn while in the theaters. Most likely the average soldier didn't keep his past ribbons with him. :dunno:

Ian,

Can we see a pic or two of your example??

As The Good Book says: "Ask and ye shall receive."

post-8022-1302329555.jpg post-8022-1302329546.jpg

Ian ;)

As The Good Book says: "Ask and ye shall receive."

post-8022-1302329555.jpg post-8022-1302329546.jpg

Ian ;)

There are several like yours with a star on the VM for sale right now on ebay. As stated before by Jack's Son, most likely it was PTO & ETO. One good example and possibility would be a ship which saw service in both TO. I know that your ribbons are an Army jacket by I do not know what troops might have had service in both TO.

Ian-

It's not uncommon to see a star on a WW2 VM. Apparently some vets just chose to do this. Rather than an unofficial WW1 connection (don't usually see a WW1 VM ribbon with it), perhaps it was some vets means of showing that they were overseas or in combat during WW2.

Perhaps someone on the forum obtained one directly from the vet and thought to ask why it was there.

Kurt

A quick search of the forum will reveal that this exact question has been asked a number of times. My understanding of the issues as told to me by a number of veterans was that the star denoted that the wearer actually served in combat.

The addition of the star is entirely unofficial and you will not find any regulation relating to its use. I would discount the World War I service angle for the star as I have encountered it many times on uniforms worn by soldiers who weren't even born when WWI came to its conclusion.

One additional tidbit- a former neighbor of mine who served in the USN in the Pacific during WWII had a star on his WWII Victory ribbon. He told me that the star was for surviving a typhoon that ravaged the US fleet after the war.

I guess that the star meant whatever the wearer wanted it to mean.

Allan

I too have been advised that the small bronze star device was unofficially affixed to WW2 era VM's & VM ribbon bars to signify that the wearer had served overseas during the war. My 1st such example was noted on the r/b of a WW2 era USN Capt.'s tunic, who had served as a sub commander in the SWPA. ( USS Albacore ) When obtained, the group was totally untouched, so I have to assume that the device had been added by the veteran himself.

Regards, dpast32

I too have been advised that the small bronze star device was unofficially affixed to WW2 era VM's & VM ribbon bars to signify that the wearer had served overseas during the war. My 1st such example was noted on the r/b of a WW2 era USN Capt.'s tunic, who had served as a sub commander in the SWPA. ( USS Albacore ) When obtained, the group was totally untouched, so I have to assume that the device had been added by the veteran himself.

Regards, dpast32

Thanks Dom.

Sabrejet :thumbsup:

I have a couple of these in my collection also. I go with the belief the ones I have were vets that put the star on because they went overseas to the combat theaters.

I look for the Ordnance Base Regiments that trained at Camp Sutton, NC. One ribbon bar with a star on the victory medal was a major in the 2nd battalion of the 301st Ordnance Regiment. This became the 602 OBAM Battalion.

Another period one I have was from a Tec 5 in the 608th OBAM (John Deere Battalion).

Based on what I have seen it looks like word of mouth vice regulations were responsible for soldiers putting the star on the victory medal. Both officers and enlisted made the same mistake.

Both the above soldiers were in WW2 only. Both were not old enough for WWI. Their DD214's only reflect WW2 service.