M1923 .45 mag. pouch unusual & rare?

Fausto

Hello Guys!

Just noticed on eBay this M1923 .45 Pistol magazine pouch advertised as "USMC .45 Pistol Magazine Pouch, 1963, EXCEEDINGLY RARE". I don't know if this is rare and I don't know if this is really USMC. For sure, after dealing with .45 magazine pouches for over 40 years, I'm not familiar with this one (never saw one alike). I would appreciate a lot to know what you think about.

Thanks !

Fausto

post-8381-1302073582.jpg

I have had a few of these in the past and it is a legitimately contracted item. I have only seen FY1963 dated ones. I personally would not call it a "USMC exclusive" item, but the USMC were the only ones still using individual equipment belts with female snaps [i.e. the M-1961 individual equipment belt]. The Army had long since changed to the M-1956 individual equipment belt when this pouch was contracted.

I have had a few of these in the past and it is a legitimately contracted item. I have only seen FY1963 dated ones. I personally would not call it a "USMC exclusive" item, but the USMC were the only ones still using individual equipment belts with female snaps [i.e. the M-1961 individual equipment belt]. The Army had long since changed to the M-1956 individual equipment belt when this pouch was contracted.

Two other thoughts on this: the National Guard was still using the pre-1956 field equipment at this time and the nomenclature marked on the pocket is actually the original Army nomenclature for it. Either way, I wouldn't call it rare.