spectacular Iwo Jima photos

ghost

Yeesh! I read for years that landing and take off on Iwo was hazardous, but these photos and captions really bring that home. Plus the living conditions for the flight crews and ground personnel could not have been that great. Thanks for posting.

• 3 weeks later...
labelkills254

I just found this link and would like to thank you for posting it.Not only are the photos incredible, but the captions are equally informative. I especially like the war time photos next to recent images of the island.

• 2 weeks later...

Why don't you see those images when you look up the war in the pasific? amazing... it reminds you that it wasn't just the Marine troops fighting there... jeez my great father (?) was propaply in the background of those pics.... Iwo looks smaller from the air than you would think

• 2 weeks later...

Great photos !!

I have an A-11 "hack" watch that was presented to the CG for this fighter group. He's in quite a few of these photos. The watch was modified with a steel band that is engraved on both sides for presentation for flying the first p51 onto the island during the actual battle.

Cool stuff !!

Vic

• 3 weeks later...