M-1 Carbine bayonet

USMCRECON

I posted a couple distant pics of this knife along with the carbine on another thread but thought I'd post some closer shots of it here. I've had it so long that I'm not sure where it came from anymore. I think my uncle gave it to me with a bunch of his uniforms and stuff when I was about 8-9 years old but am not positive anymore if it was in with that stuff or not. I do know that I've had it since the late 1950s or so. Anyway, I'm sure this is nothing particularly spectacular but I would be interested in any comments forum members might like to make regarding it.

It seems only three pictures would fit on this post so I'll follow it up with another that shows the last couple pictures. The first two are both sides of the knife and scabbard. The bottom one is a close-up of the only marking on the composite part of the scabbard. I have no idea what it may mean.....if anything at all. Why is the star included in the pic, you ask. I don't know. It has always been with the kiife as long as I've had it so I threw it down there with it for the photo.

post-1107-1189798920.jpg

post-1107-1189798932.jpg

post-1107-1189798942.jpg

Here's the last couple pictures of the carbine bayonet. The top pic shoes the US, M4, and mfgr's stamp on the hand guard. The second one shows the pommel with some stampings on it. Again, I have no idea of the significance of them. The third one is, I believe, the ordinance dept stamp, and the bottom one shows the markings on the metal throat of the scabbard.

post-1107-1189799531.jpg

post-1107-1189799239.jpg

post-1107-1189799257.jpg

post-1107-1189799248.jpg

A nice looking and all original WW2 M4. It would have come in an M8A1 scabbard originally but the M8 is perfectly correct with it

M4s were used by the 17th AB in 1945.

But so far no proof of bayonet lugs on the carbines at that time.

The M4 normally had the M8A1 scabbard, but as stated they appeared with the M8 scabbards too.

Erwin

The M4 bayonet was used as the substitute for the M3 knife following its introduction in mid-1944. Thousands of them were issued as knives rather than bayonets, actually very few of them saw action as bayonets in WW2 although they were extensively used in Korea.

Very early M4 bayonets may have been issued in M8 scabbards, but the M8A1 scabbard (which can be marked M8) was introduced about 4 months prior to the M4 beginning production. Combinations such as this MAY have resulted as field use when an M4 replaced an M3.

The following may be of some interest and answer some of your questions:

These two are on the WW2 production of the M4 bayonet:

http://www.usmilitaryknives.com/bayo_points_16.htm

http://www.usmilitaryknives.com/bayo_points_17.htm

This one discusses the scabbards as made by the Victory Plastics division of the Beckwith Manufacturing Co.:

http://www.usmilitaryknives.com/bayo_points_6.htm