Distinctive Unit Insignia reference

Darktrooper

252ND Coast Artillery / AAA / ADA , North Carolina National Guard, deactivated in mid 1960's.

Not exactly. If this design (approved 6 May 29) and has a SB , or is emb on cloth, then it is for 252nd CA Regt (155 MM Gun) (Mobile). The Regt was broken up in 1944 in ZI, and various batteries and bns were redesignated other FA units.

W/ the CB illustrated, then it would be for either of the other designations, although I could find no references. This later stuff is outside my limited scope.

Not exactly. If this design (approved 6 May 29) and has a SB , or is emb on cloth, then it is for 252nd CA Regt (155 MM Gun) (Mobile). The Regt was broken up in 1944 in ZI, and various batteries and bns were redesignated other FA units.

W/ the CB illustrated, then it would be for either of the other designations, although I could find no references. This later stuff is outside my limited scope.

Originally activated just prior to WWI to help defend the North Carolina Coast. The unit was federally activated in 1941 and first sent to Fort Screven, GA. Then sent to Aruba and Trinidad to help ward off Uboots. It was brought back to Fort Jackson, SC in 1944. The 3 Battalions of the Regiment were redesignated as FA Bn's by late 44 or early 45. 2 Bn's were sent to France and one to Italy. The Bn's were stateside by 1946 and deactivated. The 252nd was stood up in again 1949 as an Antiaircraft Artillery Group (NCNG). Then in the early 50's was reflagged as Air Defense Artillery. The 252ND continued the Lineage and Honors from before WWI and occupied the same armories (My Armory was home to B Battery, 252ND CA) in eastern NC until deactivated in the mid 1960's.

The SB would more inline with Coast Artillery designation. And the CB's for the 252ND's later designations. My intent was not to decieve. But rather show the lineage of the Unit.

Thanks,

Jimmy

• 1 month later...

Today we wear our DUI's on our shoulder loops versus wearing them on the collar/lapel. About when was this changed?

Thanks,

Jimmy

Today we wear our DUI's on our shoulder loops versus wearing them on the collar/lapel. About when was this changed?

Thanks,

Jimmy

Jimmy,

At the end of WWII, the switch was made to wear them on the shoulders. My dad had to pull some occupation duty in Berlin and his were worn up top by the time he was discharged.

Greg

Jimmy,

At the end of WWII, the switch was made to wear them on the shoulders. My dad had to pull some occupation duty in Berlin and his were worn up top by the time he was discharged.

Greg

Greg,

Thanks for the info.

Jimmy

Daniel R. Allen

Hello, I have pin of 2nd ID. It's marked - N.S. MEYER, INC NEW YORK with emblems (see photo). Can you advise me what period it is? WWII, 50s,..? Thanks, Daniel

post-8643-1296044046.jpg

Hello, I have pin of 2nd ID. It's marked - N.S. MEYER, INC NEW YORK with emblems (see photo). Can you advise me what period it is? WWII, 50s,..? Thanks, Daniel

Daniel-

Based on the hallmark, it's 1950's era.

Kurt

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...