Distinctive Unit Insignia reference

Darktrooper

Two of my most prized crests, a left and right pair from the 422nd Infantry Regiment, 106th Infantry Division made by Uris. You just don't see these together from WW II. The are concaved and must have been difficult pinning to the uniform through that thick wool or gabardine. One of the crests, worn on the Garrison Cap would undoubtedly pucker a bit unless it rounded with the cap on a soldier's forehead. Just thought that I'd share them with you.attachicon.gif422nd Inf Rgt HM Uris.JPGattachicon.gif422nd Inf Rgt L&R.JPG

According to Sawicki, these are for the 422nd Infanty (Heavy Tanks). The sample was approved 5 Apr 33, a year after the redesignation to 422nd Inf (HT). Final redesignation was 790th Tank Bn (Medium). Similar info in older Armor Cav SI Catalog.

There never was a DI for the 422nd IR, 106th ID.

Nonetheless, still striking and rare birds. Mine is HM Newcombe.

Dave good call and research, too. Infantry museum had them labeled as such though. I cannot remember anything mentioned about relation to either med/light tank (organized reserves of Indiana, Illinois...mid west), but I could not have been paying attention then. Something to discuss certainly with them. I never thought they could be older versions. So are they infantry or tank? Are your versions concaved? A while back I did see these advertised as Tank Destroyer from a vendor.

• 1 month later...

I have two unknown DUI Crests I asked if anyone can identify for me. Most likely both are Coastal Arty. I suspect that unit crest number two is a Coast Arty Command used for all elements of the interior US, but am not entirely sure. Please let me know if the pictures do not make the posting and I'll resubmit. Both crests are enameled, no hall mark, brass/gold finish, screw backs which make me think they are of 1920-1938 era. Thank you in advance, Rayattachicon.gifUI Coast Arty Crest.jpgattachicon.gifUI Coast Arty.jpg

The crest with the bullet and diagonal white stripe is Culver High School Massachusetts.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 3 months later...

We would need to see the backs to answer your Qs in more detail.

However, the 33rd is German made c. 1950 and the 36th Armored Infantry was approved in 1938. If it has a CB then it is later than WW 2 and may be for the resconstituted 36th Inf (1957).

kiaiokalewa

Maybe about 15 years ago in Kaneohe at an antique junk shop I picked up just under two dozen of these along with about just as many 1st Armored Division woolies. The patches are long gone but I do still have a small pile of what I believe are 91st Armored Field Artillery Bn. DI's. In the original batch there where seven of the orange colored enameled scrolls. Now there is only a pair left. A set went to Jay Massoro when he was still around. I do believe that these DI's have be reproduced at one time. The ones shown are all original Theatre made insignia. Note that the pin fasteners on the two orange examples are different from the others.

Mahalo,

John

post-1384-0-19064200-1458713781.jpg

post-1384-0-43430100-1458714611.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

For your reference.

The 1950s 223rd Armored Infantry Battalion DI.

Two different example that were up on Ebay, one of them, the one without the card with description behind it, was recently sold by a member, I think Vzemke???. Anyway great examples of the type.

post-34986-0-99802200-1464924302.jpgpost-34986-0-25337100-1464924419.jpg

This was talked about in this topic below from post #626 to #630.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/101808-patch-tabs/page-26

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

19th AG SB (L) and 4th AG CB ®. Post war units in Germany, 7th Army units. Both DIs are German made. The 19th AG was redesignated the 4th in 1955. Note the flag colors are reversed.

post-622-0-11231900-1503964354_thumb.jpg

• 5 months later...
Salvage Sailor
Aloha Everyone,
These are the three (3) current pocket crests worn by the staff at the Non Commissioned Officers Academy Hawaii (East Range, Schofield Barracks), 25th Infantry Division Tropic Lightning
From left to right: INSTRUCTOR CADRE DFAC (Dining Facility aka Chow Hall)
If you look closely you may discern that the CADRE crest is silver and the other two are gold
And these are some of the DUI's worn by the staff at NCOA HAWAII
USA Pacific Western Command (USARPAC)
728th Military Police Battalion (HHD Schofield Barracks)
25th Infantry Division

IMG_0258.JPG

IMG_0267.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Figured this would be the place to post these two finds.

The 49th Infantry Division Artillery Unit Crest. 49th Infantry Division California National Guard

49th inf div arty.jpg