Distinctive Unit Insignia reference

Darktrooper

Thanks for the information.

Maybe it is a good thing I posted them here as it will warn other collectors about these things.

As I stated earlier, I do not have these DUIs in my collection.

I posted them as reference only.

Maybe it would be nice to post the "real" ones next to them?

At least some of us are trying to make a decent reference topic about it and we sure can use some help.

Erwin

• 3 weeks later...
the.warlord1944

first one was 16 infantry.

pictures did not come out the way i wanted it.....

Here is 17 th engineer batallion

we pave the way

and 33 rd infantry batallion

post-1693-1195145784.jpg

post-1693-1195145807.jpg

Hi guys,

Can anyone tell me if there is a website where i can find out what DUIs look like for certain units? Im looking for the DUIs for the 91st Infantry Division but at the moment i dont know what any of them look like. Any help much appreciated, Jon.

Laury Allison
Hi guys,

Can anyone tell me if there is a website where i can find out what DUIs look like for certain units? Im looking for the DUIs for the 91st Infantry Division but at the moment i dont know what any of them look like. Any help much appreciated, Jon.

Take a look at http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/. Hopefully, you can find at least some of what you are looking for there.

Also, you may want to consider joining the American Society of Military Insignia Collectors (ASMIC). They have a website at www.ASMIC.org. Membership is open worldwide and they publish many catalogs and periodicals concerning insignia. It also provides information about others who share your same collecting interests.

Laury

• 2 weeks later...
Laury Allison
27th Infantry (I believe that this is 2nd Battalion and 1st Battalion faces the other way IIRC)

These are worn in pairs so that the wolfhound is facing forward.

Laury

These are worn in pairs so that the wolfhound is facing forward.

Laury

Yeah, my bad on that. Had someone in 1-27 tell me that they wore the wolfhound facing to the left on their berets for some reason but I cant find any info on that to support it. The one I posted is off of a WWII uniform I have in my collection and is a pinback. All face the same direction.

• 3 weeks later...

Can some one identify this DUI? If you do know what it is just mail me and I will edit my post with the correct information on what it is, thanks!

- Jeff

post-1090-1197646722.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Hi guys,

Hi, Jon,

The following website has the 1945 order of battle for the 91st Inf Div in Italy, but no DIs: http://www.milhist.net/ordbat/91infdivus.html

Shelby Stanton's Order of Battle WWII has line drawings of the three infantry regiments (361, 362, 363), and you may be able to get the FA, Engr, Ord, etc. unit DIs by googling the individual units listed in the above website. Otherwise, contact me after the New Year at [email protected], and I will send you some admittedly poor (150 dpi) scans of the division's WW2 insignia. I'm afraid I can't help you on some of the postwar DIs since I don't collect that era.

Bob Capistrano

Due to the shortage of metals in WW II, some DIs were embroidered, as were some in the Korean War.

Top Row, L-R: 801st TD Bn; 802nd TD Bn; 160th Inf (KW)

Bottom Row, L-R: 751st MP Bn; 8225th WAC Bn (KW); 6th ACR

post-622-1199150959.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
tbirdismypride

post-1973-1210187181.jpg

post-1973-1210187187.jpg

I dont know much at all about DUI's but I picked this up at our local flea market and I was later told that it was for the 67th Coastal Artillery

1st Bn, 67th CA. Redesignated 67th AAA Gun Bn in May 44. Much more accurate with a good reference book.