MRAP

hawkdriver

Today, I was out burning the classified paper, while a patrol was getting ready to go out. Being of the inquisitive nature that I am and not having any dumpsters to dive in, I decided to watch as this patrol did it's PCC and got ready to roll out on mission. I spotted a young SPC-4 gunner wearing his harness and decided to engage him on how it was worn. He was more than happy to oblige, so I took these pictures so those that don't get the opportunity to see this stuff can see first hand what it looks like.

The first two pictures are front and back shots of the harness worn, and then of his full battle rattle. The harness is worn over the IOTV and under his fighting gear. Interesting enough, this kid had his girlfriend purchase a civilian vest instead of wearing the issued FLCE.

Front and back with just armor and harness

24crv2b.jpg

118eja8.jpg

Front and back with fighting vest over harness

sc8kyo.jpg

15cbzpx.jpg

Misanthropic_Gods

Wow, very cool. Cant get much more fresh than this! Some GREAT reference material. Its very cool that he was so willing to show you his setup....but who could say no to such a persuasive WO!

Oh god, I bet that guy caught a bunch of flack for his name when he was an E-2

I hope both you and him stay safe over there!

Great pictures. Are the top rails the rig I've read about that allow wires to ride over the vehicles instead of them getting caught on them?

CNY Militaria
Great pictures. Are the top rails the rig I've read about that allow wires to ride over the vehicles instead of them getting caught on them?

Yes, they are! Interesting to see how the vehicle configurations differ from Iraq to what we have here in Afghanistan--we use an MRAP/MATV mix, and they look different on the outsides too! That is unit discretion however.

Yes, they are! Interesting to see how the vehicle configurations differ from Iraq to what we have here in Afghanistan--we use an MRAP/MATV mix, and they look different on the outsides too! That is unit discretion however.

Hey, nothing saying this is only my thread, throw down some of your varients here.

THis patrol was pure MRAP, they do mix convoys, depending on the mission. They are still using the HMMWV's here for some missions, all depends on what they are doing. I have seen all sorts of MRAP's, I've seen one that has a compartment that is about half the length, so, there are others out there, I have never asked what their missions all are, maybe I should while I have this resouce

CNY Militaria

We use MRAP MAXPRO's here and brand new (when we drew them) MATV's--the only HMMWV's you'll see here are green up-armored ones used by ANP or ANA.

Looks like the oens shown are Cougar's maybe? They are definitely too big for Afghanistan, too wide and would hit everything to the side and above it!

Armor is saving lives, but it also makes it harder to access the vehicle to retrieve individuals after a massive detonation. "Jaws of life" are quickly becoming extinct in my line of work. May have to go to gas torches in the near future...

While on the SF range shooting the other day, we heard a turbo just whinning away and this is what we saw, an MRAP dragging the honey truck through the mud. This is the point at which the MRAP got itself stuck. They ended up having to get another MRAP to hook up to the first and pull these two out. After the excitement was over, we got back into our Toyota pick-up and went mudding back through that mud hole in the fore ground. Best Army day I've had in a long time.

14kkwf7.jpg

While on the SF range shooting the other day, we heard a turbo just whinning away and this is what we saw, an MRAP dragging the honey truck through the mud. This is the point at which the MRAP got itself stuck. They ended up having to get another MRAP to hook up to the first and pull these two out. After the excitement was over, we got back into our Toyota pick-up and went mudding back through that mud hole in the fore ground. Best Army day I've had in a long time.

14kkwf7.jpg

Glad you guys get mud! All I get is bipolar weather! :pinch:

Glad you're staying safe out there.

PvtT

It just amazes me to see the diversification of vehicles that have been developed for our current conflicts.

Not that long ago, perhaps pre 9-11, there was a raging debate in military procurement circles. One side favoured heavy armor along the WWII armor division model. The other side favored vehicles that were more mobile and more adaptable to urban warfare.

Of course experience and necessity is the mother of invention.

Thanks for showing these.

It just amazes me to see the diversification of vehicles that have been developed for our current conflicts.

Not that long ago, perhaps pre 9-11, there was a raging debate in military procurement circles. One side favoured heavy armor along the WWII armor division model. The other side favored vehicles that were more mobile and more adaptable to urban warfare.

Of course experience and necessity is the mother of invention.

Thanks for showing these.

Steve: What is the purpose of the gunner's harness? I've never seen anything like that before.

Retired (Dallas)

Hawkdriver,

Excellent Photos taken there well done and thanks for sharing them :thumbsup: and posting to

Love looking at those Armoured Vehicles great Equipment ye guys are equipped with out there

I served for close to Eight years in the I.D.F in an Armoured Tank Squadron but we never had great

equipment like you guys have out there, Thanks for Sharing those great pictures and Keep Safe Out There

and God Bless you and thanks for your service too .

Regards

Tomás :thumbsup: .

Really enjoyed the photographs, thanks for posting. Everyone stay safe, god bless you and thanks for your service! (Retired Air force here)

Steve: What is the purpose of the gunner's harness? I've never seen anything like that before.

Retired (Dallas)

Dallas, always good to hear from you.

The problem with gunners is that in a roll over, they are almost always ejected out the top of the turret and subsequently crushed by the vehicle. So, to combat that, they developed the gunner's harness. That silver buckle in the back connects to a strap in the floor and when the vehicle starts rolling, that strap locks and pulls the gunner down. He is usually sitting on a seat and in the event of a roll over, the TC, driver, anyone that can get to the seat release will pop the seat straps, then the harness will pull him to the floor. Mortality for gunners has gone way down since employing this system.

Before you go in theatre, you have to go through the MRAP rollover trainer. Asking yourself why an aviator knows about the MRAP roll over trainer? Because we all had to go through it as well as part of our Kuwait training.

Dallas, always good to hear from you.

The problem with gunners is that in a roll over, they are almost always ejected out the top of the turret and subsequently crushed by the vehicle. So, to combat that, they developed the gunner's harness. That silver buckle in the back connects to a strap in the floor and when the vehicle starts rolling, that strap locks and pulls the gunner down. He is usually sitting on a seat and in the event of a roll over, the TC, driver, anyone that can get to the seat release will pop the seat straps, then the harness will pull him to the floor. Mortality for gunners has gone way down since employing this system.

Before you go in theatre, you have to go through the MRAP rollover trainer. Asking yourself why an aviator knows about the MRAP roll over trainer? Because we all had to go through it as well as part of our Kuwait training.

Thanks, Steve. Stay safe over there.

Dallas