Repro M1910 Canteen Covers

Shawn Sturgill

Shawn Sturgill

A friend of mine is in the market for a repop M1910 Canteen Cover. However, he is unsure of which vendor carries the most accurate reproduction. What are your opinions here, based on what you have seen? At the Front, WWII Impressions, Schipperfabrik, etc?

Thanks,

Shawn

A friend of mine is in the market for a repop M1910 Canteen Cover. However, he is unsure of which vendor carries the most accurate reproduction. What are your opinions here, based on what you have seen? At the Front, WWII Impressions, Schipperfabrik, etc?

Thanks,

Shawn

I have the ATF.. not bad, but i can imagine a nicer one.. I do not have any personal experience wtih the Shippirfabrik, but I have heard it's the top.

Frank

Shawn Sturgill

Frank,

Thanks for the response. Anyone else have anything to say about the Schipperfabrik (or other vendor) cover?

Thanks,

-Shawn

Frank,

Thanks for the response. Anyone else have anything to say about the Schipperfabrik (or other vendor) cover?

Thanks,

-Shawn

I can second the postive asessment of the ATF cover. I've got the mounted style cover and am very pleased with how rugged it is built. The only minor negative on mine is that the texture of the felt lining doesn't quite match orginals, but for reenacting purposes that doesn't really matter (to me). HTH

Tim

oskar_2ndchev
Frank,

Thanks,

-Shawn

Schipper's is excellent- I've had mine for five years and it's held up well. I'd definitely recommend it. :thumbsup:

I have two Schipper canteen covers, early pea green style and later khaki with LTD snaps. Both are very well made and look great. No complaints at all. Plus, Paul and Heather Schipper are a pleasure to do business with.

Chris

I have two Schipper canteen covers, early pea green style and later khaki with LTD snaps. Both are very well made and look great. No complaints at all. Plus, Paul and Heather Schipper are a pleasure to do business with.

Chris

I am confident you won't be dissapointed...

canteen1.JPG

I think you will be very happy with any purchase you make with Schipper. I have never experienced any problems with items purchased from them.

• 2 months later...
Shawn Sturgill

I just received my repro M1910 Canteen Cover and First Aid Pouch in from Schipperfabrik. I like the first aid pouch, and don't really have any complaints.

The canteen cover isn't quite what I expected based on the photos on their website. The color is much more tan, rather than the "golden khaki" that it appears to be in the photos. The wool lining is also...interesting. It has a lot of fleks of red, blue, yellow, etc. amongst the gray. I have yet to see an original so "colorful". Lastly, I had to wet and stretch the cover to get a canteen and cup to fit properly. I'm not saying that I am displeased, and I think it will probably look really good with some dirt and honest, hard use. However, I will probably end up ordering additional canteen covers from At The Front and/or WWII Impressions, because I really like what I have seen in use with a couple of guys in my reenacting unit.

You know the real deals are so plentiful and frankly cheap why not just use an original? Just a thought. :think:

Me 2

Same with the M28 packs.Most can be had for less than a repro.

I understand not wanting to use originals to get destroyed in re-enacting but if money is a factor many originals are less and will have that broke in look already

Shawn Sturgill

I've got a few originals, and that is what I have been using thus far. I'd just really prefer to use a repro at "tactical" events, where everything is going to be seeing very hard use.

• 2 months later...

Using cheap originals while re-enacting is the way to go. Buy a cheap "Blank" uniform from a surplus store and sew patches on them and even use some original gear. I'm NOT saying "go to the field with original uniforms from ID'ed soldiers while wearing original double buckles and beat them to hell, but for things half the cost of Repros it will give your impression the rugged combat tested look you are looking for and will keep everyone guessing what is real and whats not.

-graydon