Please tell me no one on here is bidding on this! 9thaausmc

Dave

Dave, thank you for bringing this to light in the first place. These types of guys are a real threat to the hobby and make it very frustrating for us younger collectors. To put it frankly, it really sucks when you have to wade through a minefield just to buy a WWII Class A jacket these days.

And here's the patch on the uniform...

You can see the imperfections align perfectly.

I'm still interested in the explaination... :think:

It has his "trademark" stitching on it also. The 82nd stayed in Germany as occupation troops until Dec. 1945 and came home as a unit in Jan. 1946. They would have been wearing Ike jackets, not the service coat shown. :thumbdown:

I worry about everyone on here posting what he is doing wrong. It is just giving him direction on how to fix his errors.....

At the risk of doing that, I feel that it's better to use his mistakes to educate the population of the forum. Unfortunately, doing so means that we're educating the fakers too. But then again, my pinned initial post of how not to get burned gives a lot away as well.

However, I'd rather give away some things and see the forum members be better educated than to hold on to what I know (and what other members of this board know) and watch fellow forum members pay good money for obvious fakes. That would kill me.

Dave

A P.S. to my above post...I would LOVE to talk to some of the "big" fakers sometime. For all the guys we have that sew on patches or change out/add insignia, think of the German (TR stuff) fakers that have been making PERFECT copies of complete uniforms and medals for decades. I'd love to see their workshops! Talk about REAL skill!

BUT, for whatever reason (one can imagine why) they're all pretty covert. I once tried to replace a US veteran's foreign award by finding the maker of a certain fake of the award (they were 97% perfect, these fakes) and having him make one for the vet with the right serial number, etc. Unfortnately, my extensive attempts got nowhere. Too bad...

Dave

I think the thing that really jumped out at me were the added patches on his AAF uniforms. I remember reading Dave's (I think it was Dave) thread on what to look out for when collecting uniforms regarding patches. The patches never look right. They are always too rigid and the uniform conforms to the lay of the patch instead of vice versa (if that makes sense). A patch that has been on a uniform (worn, stored, etc) for 60 years conforms to the fabric of the uniform. The stitching doesn't dig into the patch and cause "puffy" edges either. A lot of Alexander's patches have the "puffy" patches too. The thread used to sew on the patches seems to stretch over time and doesn't deform the patch edges (at least not on the uniforms I have inspected and owned). Did others notice this as well?

It just seems to get worse and worse. I just can't imagine a credible defense to all of this. Even so, I think he should be allowed to post a response to all these allegations as long as everything remains civil......that's only fair

I'm actually interested in how he would explain away all this very damning evidence....but that's just me.

It just seems to get worse and worse. I just can't imagine a credible defense to all of this. Even so, I think he should be allowed to post a response to all these allegations as long as everything remains civil......that's only fair

I'm actually interested in how he would explain away all this very damning evidence....but that's just me.

Bill, I am not sure that there are any mitigating explanations he could offer at this point. Any attempt to do so on his part would be comical at best, despicable at worst in my opinion. For entertainments sake, in that morbid car wreck way, it would be worth reading I suppose. :lol:

For entertainments sake, in that morbid car wreck way, it would be worth reading I suppose. :lol:

This is one of the "More descriptive phrases" I've read in awhile. :lol:

Cobrahistorian
I am curious as to why he hasn't been booted from the forum? Doesn't seem like he fits in with the forum's ethos and code of ethics....

His account has been set to inactive.

This really has been a riveting thread. IT HAS IT ALL. Intrigue, evidence, dialogue, denial, more evidence...enormously educational on a multitude of levels. I only wish that the member in question had more to offer.....Curious...... Dave, as a new member of the forum I should keep quiet, but this would make a great case study link in your "How not to get burned....." article. IT HAS IT ALL. I would hate to see it drift into the obscurity of long past topics.

My thanks to The Forum. Outstanding.

Dave, thank you for bringing this to light in the first place. These types of guys are a real threat to the hobby and make it very frustrating for us younger collectors. To put it frankly, it really sucks when you have to wade through a minefield just to buy a WWII Class A jacket these days.

Dave did indeed put a lot of effort into the photos and compiling evidence against Mr. Alexander, but I feel it's important to also give credit to the efforts of moderator Cobrahistorian for being the first whistle-blower on this clown.

At the time, he offered a pretty flimsy excuse, and being polite, intelligent people, it seems we all gave him the benefit of the doubt. Until, of course, it became too much to ignore his repeated offenses.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...c=88869&hl=

Cobrahistorian
Dave did indeed put a lot of effort into the photos and compiling evidence against Mr. Alexander, but I feel it's important to also give credit to the efforts of moderator Cobrahistorian for being the first whistle-blower on this clown.

At the time, he offered a pretty flimsy excuse, and being polite, intelligent people, it seems we all gave him the benefit of the doubt. Until, of course, it became too much to ignore his repeated offenses.

Thanks Dan. Dave's article really has been an education and there were a couple things I wasn't sure of that made a lot more sense after reading it.

I found Alexander's stuff while looking for 9th AF uniforms. I realized a number of issues on my own, and those others that I couldn't confirm, Dave's article set straight.

Jon

Quite right. I have been following both threads and have really thought of them as one.....each adds materially to the other.....I should have said BOTH should be linked in.......great work all the way around.

This thread has just helped solidify my ongoing membership with the USMF for years to come. Exposing this hack and banning him from the forum will do us all a favor and enable him to "get a life" of his own someday. Not only that, but it will do a great justice to all the hero veterans to which this forum is dedicated that never actually wore the fake crap he peddles. I look forward to seeing his name pop up in future "he's at it again" posts in the FAKES & REPRODUCTIONS forum as he will undoubtedly attempt to continue to err in his ways on other forums and auction websites. People like this don't change. He's "embarrassed" because he got caught. Hiding behind a museum, saving a hospital, raising public support for...blah, blah, blah just shows the level of deceipt he's willing to stoop to. Hmmm...I wonder if the "group" he's a member of and helping out are aware of the goods he sells? :think: Thanks to all who posted and exposed this ugly part of the hobby! Jeffro

Brian Dentino

Indeed my heartfelt thanks to all those that contributed once again to my "education" in reading this thread. Learned a lot, but couldn't stop reading........morbid car wreck? :unsure:

Thanks everyone, especially Dave and cobrahistorian, for offering your advice and expertise on identifying these and other altered pieces. I, too, have learned a lot by reading this topic alone and I appreciate your time in conducting excellent detective work.

This forum saves us from the anguish of disappointment, assists us in identifying inconsistencies, and helps retain the excitement of collecting militaria.

Many thanks again!

Thanks everyone, especially Dave and cobrahistorian, for offering your advice and expertise on identifying these and other altered pieces. I, too, have learned a lot by reading this topic alone and I appreciate your time in conducting excellent detective work.

This forum saves us from the anguish of disappointment, assists us in identifying inconsistencies, and helps retain the excitement of collecting militaria.

Many thanks again!

Ditto, ditto, ditto, ditto, ditto. I fully agree :thumbsup: ...and here is a sad tribute to those who are not diving into this forum. (And the auction isn't even done yet!)

http://cgi.ebay.com/WW-2-US-Army-1st-Lt-17...=item3a62c2ee80

Oz

2745331460103484309S600x600Q85.jpg

And heres the sew on CIB:

The thing I don't understand is y'all showed the medals he bought for $10, this CIB he bought for $10. The jacket sold for $40. Where is the profit?

....Kat

Wow, seven pages of postings and no one has once typed in his eBay handle (unless I missed it):

8069alexander

There!! Now this thread is officially searchable on Google, and anyone typing his eBay handle into Google search will pull up this thread. Might just help some non USMF members save some hard earned cash.

Cobrahistorian

One of the issues I'm seeing here is the question of "restoration" vs. "fake".

I restore uniforms. Many of the pilot's unifoms I own have had original, period insignia that was painstakingly researched and purchased over time to bring each uniform back to a certain point in time. This often takes months of requesting records, poring over unit histories, blind luck, and often help from fellow forum members. If I do sell one of my restored uniforms, the buyer gets copies of my research, exactly which pieces have been restored to the uniform and can be confident that the historical information and the uniform are the best possible look into that individual's career that I could provide.

Throwing a bunch of insignia on a uniform and calling it a restoration and then trying to sell it as original (without telling the buyer anything has been added!) is the fastest way to being called a faker.

Jon

Wow, seven pages of postings and no one has once typed in his eBay handle (unless I missed it):

8069alexander

There!! Now this thread is officially searchable on Google, and anyone typing his eBay handle into Google search will pull up this thread. Might just help some non USMF members save some hard earned cash.

Its been changed to 9thaausmc

8069alexander

Shhh....I did it in post #33.... :lol:;)

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...st&p=737929