Please tell me no one on here is bidding on this! 9thaausmc

Dave

This wing that he won on ebay looks an awful lot like one that is on a uniform that he is currently selling.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...#ht_2252wt_1141

And the auction

http://cgi.ebay.com/WW-2-USAAF-Lt-Col-Pilo...a#ht_720wt_1141

For educational purposes, here are the wings that were in the first auction, where they were purchased:

wing2.jpg

And then the wings on the uniform in the seller-in-question's auction. I am certain that they were purchased from the same tailor shop by different pilots, but they were both sewn by the same hand (note the slight sewing errors common to both - the short feathers in the same spot, the curves in the same place...)

wing1.jpg

I can't address the other things, but yes a V device can be worn on a legion of Merit. One of my Marine uniforms has a V device on the ribon and that device is authenticated by the officer's service records as awarded with his LOM.

Cool thanks for the information... I learned something new.

I am waiting for the re-buttal post. This one should be interesting.

Might be worth bidding just to take the patches off and re-sell them for more :)

Actually the 5th AAF patch is a UK made copy based on the original auction that it came from. Scratch that.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...D&viewitem=

I am waiting for the re-buttal post. This one should be interesting.

Might be worth bidding just to take the patches off and re-sell them for more :)

Actually the 5th AAF patch is a UK made copy based on the original auction that it came from. Scratch that.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...D&viewitem=

And for educational purposes...the original patch, legitimately sold as an aged reproduction...

fake5thpatch.jpg

And the patch on the uniform in the auction of 8069alexander

I'm sure the patch on the uniform was the basis for the reproduction. Don't you think?

(That is a nice reproduction patch, BTW...)

fake5thpatch2.jpg

Interesting thread here. Comparing the bullion wings, I see the same weave/wear pattern in both photos.

Curvature of some threads, discoloration, what appears to be the tips of the wings a bit chopped, etc...

Is it just me?

1f513d00.jpg

e030824f.jpg

Looks like this rogue seamstress is totally busted. It always amazes me how some people can be so blantantly dishonest.

Kurt

ps - excellent example how "100% feedback" is no guage whatsoever of a seller or the stuff he sells.

Interesting thread here. Comparing the bullion wings, I see the same weave/wear pattern in both photos.

Curvature of some threads, discoloration, what appears to be the tips of the wings a bit chopped, etc...

Is it just me?

1f513d00.jpg

e030824f.jpg

No, its no just you I saw the same similarities, even without my glasses!! :thumbdown:

CB

No, its no just you I saw the same similarities, even without my glasses!! :thumbdown:

CB

Good to know! I didn't read close enough, as I see Dave mentioned these before I did, back on reply #29.

I wonder how long before people complain to ebay that being able to see things they have bought in the past is restricting their trade....

I wonder how long before people complain to ebay that being able to see things they have bought in the past is restricting their trade....

:lol::rolleyes: :w00t: :whistling: :laughing1:

Dave,

You brought up enough questions about the jacket that I pulled it. However, I have also attached a letter that I recevied when I purchased 2 jackets that supposedly belonged to the RADM. As you can see he is a real RADM and He really wore those ribbons. Now as for my other purchases, I am part of a group that is trying to save the riding stables and vet Hospital at Fort Ord. I made up some uniforms of those that were stationed there during WW2. Also I displayed my real uniforms as we are trying to get public support for opening a museum and keeping these WW2 buildings. I may have been hosed on one of these jackets but there really is a guy by that name. No battle stars in Europe, yep in the Pacific. What i don't have is his date of rank. he could have been flying patrols for all I know in the Atlantic, got promoted and went to the Pacific. Glad you have a life, mine just got a bit embarrassing.

post-19572-1296445952.jpg

A reminder to all that in any type of collecting, things will undergo peer review and often times will fail the review, for reasons that can vary from innocent mistake to outright fraud. Luckily we have seen more than one ebay seller pull an item after USMF members pointed out problems. We have also seen some sellers from the other end of the spectrum who think the world is out to get them.

I buy a lot of stuff direct from families and I know I have seen every type of abnomally in type and placement of insignia, etc. I had one vet sell me "his" two uniforms from the Korean War: they had completely different insignia and unit patches and even different laundry marks - I tried to politely ask him about that and he was 100% certain they were both his. :) That's why some things just have to be offered as "This is the way it came, I make no claims about it and it is sold "AS IS'."

I visited one old time collector who 85 uniforms and he couldn't tell you the names of anyone who wore them and he didn't care. As I discovered (after I bought two of them) he just pinned things on them and displayed them.

Today's collectors, though, want provenance, some good proof that what they buy has some credibility. There is some abnormal stuff that that does indeed have a good provenance, but, again, if you have something with red flags, and there's to back it, it's going to get questioned and at the end of the day it may have to go in the "AS IS" category (I like to say that "AS IS" is collectible talk for "defenctive, but at your own risk.".

Cpl Punishment
Heres another ribbon bar he won:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...=#ht_500wt_1156

And a very similar one on a uniform he sold, It even has the same moth hole above the good conduct ribbon

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...=#ht_720wt_1141

Not just similar...It is the same one. Notice the bare spot on the the EAME and the American Campaign ribbons.