Please tell me no one on here is bidding on this! 9thaausmc

Dave

Please tell me no one is bidding on this, as you're throwing your money down a pit.

The ribbons were recently added, and so were the wings. I don't know where the seller got his information of the admiral, but that's not the name on the tailor's label anyway.

It's a dolled-up uniform, and whoever did it didn't even do a good job. :pinch:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=260727691901

Dave

At first glance, the ribbons looked OK to me. What do you see that tells you the ribbons were recently added?

The wings don't look quite right. The black thread in the feathers seem to be too thick. But I would need a better photo to make a firm conclusion.

Too Much WW1 Militaria

We had a SGM on Smoke Bomb Hill that had a Legion of Merit with a V. Uncommon, but it does happen. Wonder where those wings came from?

Jack

There isn't any black thread in the feathers, That is a shadow from the flash. I have 2 of Fredic Gibbs blouses, one has his name on it the other is this one. Since it doesn't have his name I didn't list is as his. I said I thought is was. Question all you want. It is exactly as I said it is. Thats why I have 100% seller rating because I make stuff up. Many officers trade, use, sell, give their uniforms to others. I have a USMC uniform with 2 names, Letcher and Marston. I guess that's fake too. Get a life.

A V on a legion of merit ribbon? Is that normal? I dont really do much with medals.

I can't address the other things, but yes a V device can be worn on a legion of Merit. One of my Marine uniforms has a V device on the ribon and that device is authenticated by the officer's service records as awarded with his LOM.

90thDivHistory

I am curious why there is not one campaign star on the ETO ribbon. Obviously the PTO ribbon makes sense but what would an Admiral be doing back in the ETO without participating in any invasion? Just a question not meant to be an attack.

Respectfully,

Tyler

There isn't any black thread in the feathers, That is a shadow from the flash. I have 2 of Fredic Gibbs blouses, one has his name on it the other is this one. Since it doesn't have his name I didn't list is as his. I said I thought is was. Question all you want. It is exactly as I said it is. Thats why I have 100% seller rating because I make stuff up. Many officers trade, use, sell, give their uniforms to others. I have a USMC uniform with 2 names, Letcher and Marston. I guess that's fake too. Get a life.

Greetings,

Actually you wrote:

"Don't know much about this piece other than it might have belonged to Fredric Gibbs. I can't make out the name inside but the date in 1942."

Not trying to pick fights. I sure "many" officers give away tailored uniforms.

Best,

Peter

A V on a legion of merit ribbon? Is that normal? I dont really do much with medals.

Yes, V's are entirely possible on LOMs. That's fine and not at all uncommon. A WW2 vintage V would have no serifs on top; a late 40s through 1950s Navy device would (typically) be black or dark bronze in color (see attached photo on a BSM and a NC) and later Vietnam vintage ones would be "frosted" gold in color. However, this "V" device is what they currently sell at the uniform shop. And that's part of my problem with this uniform.

In addition, it appears that the ribbons were very recently added. If anything, the "V" was added within the last decade, so at some point, they were tinkered with.

The cuff braid appears too new for WW2 "vintage" either. Even my most well preserved WW2 admirals have at least a dark gold patina - flash distortion notwithstanding.

The wing is fine, and could be 1940s through 1960s production...I have no problem with that. However, I do not have him listed as a pilot in any of my books or registers.

Frederic Gibbs (or anyone else with that last name) is not listed in The Biographical Dictionary of World War II Generals and Flag Officers. So he wasn't a flag officer in WW2.

I do have him listed in my 1941 Naval Reserve Register. He's listed as an Ensign, Merchant Marine Reserve (page 441) number in grade 878, with a date of rank of July 1938. Additionally, his date of birth was May 1914, so it would have been very difficult to have been a flag officer by the end of WW2 (at the age of 31). He's not listed in my 1947 Register of Commissioned and Warrant Officers of the United States Navy and Marine Corps and Reserve Officers on Active Duty, nor is he listed in the Naval Reserve Register for the same year. So I assume he had been discharged out of the Navy by that time - far from being a two-star admiral.

For the seller: I genuinely appreciate your comments in the thread, and I am certain that you did not put this together. You may have bought it this way, and if you did, I would recommend that you return it to the seller. I absolutely agree with you that many uniforms have multiple names in them - I have had enlisted and junior officer uniforms with upwards of four and five names in my collection.

And to your recommendation about getting a life, I have a good one, thank you. Part of it is helping other collectors identify things that are questionable so they can spend their hard-earned cash elsewhere. I take advantage of every chance to do that, and I thank you for providing me this opportunity.

Dave

Sorry, forgot to add the photo of the "V" devices as promised. (Yes George, Roy's uniform IS headed your way!) :thumbsup:

RoyRibbons.jpg

Manchu Warrior

This is the second time you have come up for discussion on the forum in recent weeks and I looked back at your completed auctions. And you have purchased plenty of spare ribbons and ribbon bars etc. And since you stated in the other thread that you purchased a trailer full of uniforms are you adding all the ribbons onto the trailer full of uniforms?

I stepped up and defended this seller on the last auction of his that was brought up on the forum because he and I had done quite a bit of trading back and forth, and I was exceptionally pleased with everything that came from him.

However...after weeks, and weeks of watching these uniforms pop up for sale, especially the WWII Marine Corps dog handler uniforms (which I've been hunting for for a long, long time) and there's just too many hand-sewn patches and too many brand-new ribbons and everything. Haven't personally inspected any of them besides the ones I bought from him, but my question to Mr. Alexander is...where did you get this trailer of uniforms, and why do they all seem to be a bit questionable? I don't know enough to make any bold accusations or statements, but it does seem rather odd that so many uniforms came out of this trailer that are all desirable, and decorated uniforms that almost all have one or two things "off" about them. It'd pain me greatly to know for sure you've been adding to these to increase the value and intentionally deceive other collectors, but would equally pain me to see that you've been taken advantage of by whomever sold you the trailer of uniforms that have all been put together like this.

Now this is why I check this forum as much as possible. Dave, great info on what put you off for the uniform. I didn't know that about the "V" devices and how to tell the time periods.

Thanks all, valuable info!

Mike

Leatherwringer
Now this is why I check this forum as much as possible. Dave, great info on what put you off for the uniform. I didn't know that about the "V" devices and how to tell the time periods.

Thanks all, valuable info!

Mike

Mike....you just put down exactly what I was thinking! Coming to the USMF is like going to school everyday! I learn a little more each time I log-in!

Mike....you just put down exactly what I was thinking! Coming to the USMF is like going to school everyday! I learn a little more each time I log-in!

This is an amazing site with great knowledge base and a tight knit group of guys who know this stuff really well. I got to thinking after seeing this thread originally start though is how many militaria fakers also come on this site for their schooling as well...