First WWII Kabar: Did I buy a real WW II Kabar?

Theorywolf

I just won my first Kabar WW II USMC knife on ebay. I just wanted to make sure with the collectors in the know here that I did good or bad with my win? I could not get the photos to download so here is the address for the ebay page. The knife has been sharpened and filed a bit. Still looks pretty good.

Thanks,

Mike

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...D&viewitem=

Corpsmancollector

Mike,

Looks like a nice, used example to me. I think you did well and I would be happy to add the item to my collection :thumbsup:

Will

Thanks Will! I may have you a Marine Item in the future!! Greg, thanks to you!! I studied your expert overview of these and tested my knowledge so far by buying one! It worked out and thanks for your expertise on these!! Question: First, should I clean this one? What will take the spotting off the blade? Should I leave as is?

Cheers,

Mike

Nice knife...I don't understand why you think it's been filed, but I see no evidence that would suggest it. As far as cleaning goes, it looks pretty clean already. I would just wipe it down with some light oil and leave it at that.

Nice knife...I don't understand why you think it's been filed, but I see no evidence that would suggest it. As far as cleaning goes, it looks pretty clean already. I would just wipe it down with some light oil and leave it at that.

I was thinking about the edge just above where the USMC is stamped. Looks like the metal almost cuts into the "C" in the USMC stamp...like it is filed down, but maybe the stamp is just a little high? Thanks guys for helping me see that this is, in fact, a WW II Kabar!

Mike

Still-A-Marine

Its a nice WW2 piece and a good one for any collection. I would go over the metal with 0000 steal wool and oil. Don't over do it! Just a little bit of light rubbing will remove any surface rust and crud.

Be careful. Ka-Bars are addicting - you can't have just one.

Bill

I was thinking about the edge just above where the USMC is stamped. Looks like the metal almost cuts into the "C" in the USMC stamp...like it is filed down, but maybe the stamp is just a little high? Thanks guys for helping me see that this is, in fact, a WW II Kabar!

Mike

I'm pretty sure it was just stamped slightly off for one reason or another...not really uncommon, as the main issue was to get these knives out in the field and in my mind adds character and individuality to them. The way I see it, slight imperfections were the norm.

You guys are great! I've enjoyed learning about the Kabar. With selling places like ebay you gotta be in the know!! Yes, I know I will get addicted! Already am! :)

Don't tell my wife!

Mike

Mike,

Excellent choice for a first WWII Kabar knife :thumbsup:. IMHO this early variant (sporting the "Olean, NY" stamp) is more collectible than the later more common variant that is just stamped Kabar.

Tim

Corpsmancollector
Thanks Will! I may have you a Marine Item in the future!! Greg, thanks to you!! I studied your expert overview of these and tested my knowledge so far by buying one! It worked out and thanks for your expertise on these!! Question: First, should I clean this one? What will take the spotting off the blade? Should I leave as is?

Cheers,

Mike

No worries Mike, more than welcome. Ka-Bars are an addictive sub-collection...Some days, they're all I can think about! :lol:

I may have you a Marine Item in the future!!

I'm intrigued! ;)

Will

Just got the Kabar home from seller. As you guys say, I love it!! I've been looking for other collecting items beyond the M1 helmet...which can cost you a leg and an arm! Here are a few pics I just took along with a grouping of other USMC items of mine. sheaf has maker mark: USMC Boyt 43.

Cheers,

Mike

post-576-1296853843.jpg

Mike

Mike

what are you referring too when you say the knife has been filed?

thanks