USMC 10K & Sterling Officer's EGAs by Meyer

bobgee

Howdy all.....These insignia belonged to William Channing Powers, Jr. who was commissioned in 1906. They are marked 10K & sterling and bear the Hallmark of N.S. Meyer New York. I date them to at least 1912 and perhaps a bit earlier, maybe to his commissioning year. I'd like to hear comments on their age from all. I suggest a close look at the reverses of the collars and the most unusual repairs made to the 'birds' legs, apparently at 2 different times. I think this suggests frugality on the part of this career officer and reflects the times in which he lived. He was from Illinois. He had campign service in Cuba and received Cuban Pac #195. He fought in Nicaragua in 1912 with the 1st Provisional Brigade earning 1st Nic. Campaign #15. He was ashore at Vera Cruz, Mexico in April 1914 earning Mexican Campaign #1067. Was in the Philippines and aboard Saratoga and Brooklyn, this probably accounting for his Expeditionary Medal MNo. 2047. He was a Major by 1917 and made it France with the 13th Marines, 5th Brigade where he served from Sept 1918 until Jan 1920. He has a Victory Medal with France clasp and wears the Maltese Cross on his r/b as is prescribed by regulations. He arrived in Shanghai in 1930 and advanced to LtCol and took command of the 3rdBn, 4th Marines in Nov 1931. He received Yangtze Service Medal MNo. 2267 and left China in March 1934. On Sept 16, 1933 (almost 74 years ago to the day,) he made the cover of the "Walla Walla" in the issue for the 3rdBn, 4th Marines. He was retired as a LtCol in 1936, having been passed over promotion to Col. He was recalled to active duty in 1942 and served stateside with the 2ndMarDiv advancing to Colonel and finally being released in 1944. This officer was just about everywhere one could campaign.....but missed Nicaragua in 1928-1932. A thumbnail look at USMC history 1906 to 1936. I am honored to be the temporary custodian of this Marines medals etc. I tried to post medal pics but the files were too big........ think.gif

Semper Fi.....Bobgee

Powers_Medal_Set_Cap_Obv.JPGPowers_Medal_Set_Cap_REV.JPG

Powers_Medal_Set_Collars_Obv.JPG

Powers_Medal_Set_Collars_REV.JPG

Nice EGAs Bob! The barracks cover bird is a nice one, esp in the respect that it has the "pre-war" rope configuration. Seems like most of the Meyers we see are of the late and post-war fouled anchor type.

Jeremiah

teufelhunde.ret

Bob, this is wonderful pre war set and of the among the earliest Meyer hallmarks. How fortunate these have not been broken up and sold off. The Colonel was obviously very proud of these birds. And as you have pointed out, the period repairs reflect upon the value he bestowed up them. Secondly, the harsh period of time... the depression years when gentlemen such as him would see to repairs rather than tossing them away for new ones. To think... this barracks cover & collar emblems spanned four decades of use and any Marine would be proud to wear them today!!!!

I find the career of this gentleman absolutely amazing, so many campaigns and served for two world wars! Its remarkable, promoted to Major in ten years, yet waited 12 years for light Colonel. Have you found were he disappeared to following WW1... a significant gap in the history provided. Perhaps he had one of those career ending tours? No mention of any personal awards, is this something you have been able to determine? And do you have and records or perhaps Photo's of his service. Thanks so much for sharing with us all! s/f Darrell

Nice set Bob,

Great to see a name attributed to these pieces. 95% or more of pieces, sadly, have lost the history as to the owner. These are scarce pieces, made rare with such history. By chance, does the cover of the Walla Walla have him wearing these devices, or do you have any other pictures of him wearing these insignia? I have a large collection of officer photos form 1900-1940, they need catalogued, but I will see if I have any of him.

Mike

Howdy Guys!

Thanks Mike...I have a very poor copy of him in full dress in 1909. The Walla Walla has him in service khaki with r/bs and sam brownw. Hard to see his collar insignia. I have another low quality in greens in 1936. Let me know if you have one of him.

Darrell...after WWI he was at sea on the staff of the Battleship Div Cdr for about 4 years then in 1926 he went to Quantico as a Tactics Instructor and was there until he got orders to the 4th Marines in Shanghai arriving in Nov 1930. He was the Reg't IntelO etc until Nov 1931 when he took command of 3/4 as a Major. Promoted LtCol in June 1932 until Oct 1933 when he became S-3 of the Regiment. He had bouts of illnes and hospitalization and returned to to Conus April 1934. Was at Dept of Pacific until aug 1934 when he reported to MB, Parris Island. He was CO Rifle Range and then OIC Recruit Training and Field Music School. He was placed on the retired list on 30 June 1936 "having become ineligible for promotion by reason of length of service.....etc etc." That's interesting since he only made LtCol in June 1932...........4 years in grade???????? Hmmmmmm or was he passed over for Permanent LtCol.????

It's a really historical group. I have his miniatures and full-size medals and a nice set of 'fat' ribbon bars PLUS these lovely 'birds".

Semper Fi, Y'all..................Bobgee

teufelhunde.ret

That is great history... I knew there was something special that drew me to him.. a kindred spirit, (a former Wpns Bn CO at Parris Island). Appears like the career ending tour was as staff on a battleship group those four years. Still a great story.

And I hope you will share more of his awards, etc. s/f Darrell

Powers_Walla_Walla_Cover.JPGPowers1.JPG

Here's a couple of pics of Colonel Powers. First one is from the 'Walla Walla' cover; second is a copy of an official file photo in 1936. I'll try to post pics of his medals this weekend.

Semper Fi....Bob

• 2 weeks later...

Powers_Group_USMC_cropped.JPG

Howdy

I've had the camera out and have a pic of Col. Powers medals, minis, ribbon bars and EGA set that I said I'd post. Well here it is, as found.

Semper Fi......Bobgee