• Johnson Light Machine Gun
    • Reising Submachine Gun
    • 1919 .30 Cal LMG
    • .50 Cal HMG
    • Revolver
    • M2 Flamethrower
    • M3/M3A1 Grease Gun
    • M1897 Trench Gun

What's your favorite WWII gun and why did you choose it?

LOOKING FOR OIF/OEF SPECIAL FORCES ITEMS. USAF, USMC, ARMY, NAVY. PATCHES, GEAR, and HELMETS.

Wow, 13 votes before me, and nobody explained why they picked their choice!

I chose the M1 rifle. It is iconic and has come to represent the US soldier or marine in WWII, and also has an historical note attached to it as the first generally issued semi-automatic rifle issued to an army.

Although I appreciate and would like to own, well, everything on that list (especially a BAR) the only other iconic choice on the list, in my opinion, would be an M1911A1 (which is what I'm sure you meant; M1911 production ceased in the mid 1920s :) ). I didn't choose the M1911A1 because it wasn't as commonly issued to troops as the M1 rifle. If you had a poll on favorite WWI firearm I might choose the model of 1911

M1911 - great for those "up close and personal" situations...

The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps. (General A. A. Vandegrift, USMC, 5 May 1946)

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

They all could be my favorites if I owned them all. Since I don't I love the Garand. Also the 1911. Carbine is fun to shoot, 1903 is such a well made weapon. Ah well you see where I'm going. Just nuts about guns. Robert

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

I voted for the carbine. It is light, easy to shoot and has a high magazine capacity. I love my carbines.

That was a tough decision but had to go with the M1911. So much history, the various manufacturers, the varations...Where it's been, what it's done, who it protected, so reliable, how it fought so hard. Truly an iconic weapon for the ages. Still used, collected, copied and admired by so many.

Former Navy Nuclear Weapons Officer (current member NNWA) collateral duty while active: OIC R&P Team and Base Armory. Life/Patron Member NRA (since 1962); Life Member NCGCA; Member Colt CA; collector/shooter/amateur gunsmith.

donation2013.gif

M1911 - great for those "up close and personal" situations...

Ditto, just a fan, own several and love to shoot them, they feel good, shoot well and have a rich history.

Always looking for uniquely marked helmets, WWI and WWII American Field Service items, WWII and earlier USMC items and named or numbered medals and medal groups.

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

post-8016-0-48641800-1578110344.jpeg

I picked the M1 Garand because, as mentioned before, it is an iconic representation of the WWII US infantryman. And for me, it is also the one from the list of options that I am planning on purchasing sometime this year!

-Johannes

donation2011.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gif

postwar1.jpg

I too chose the Garand. I absolutely agree with the others that have chosen it and given their explanation. I am lucky enough to own 4 of them as well as a few others on the list but, the M1 is by far my favorite.

donation2011.gif

They are all good and everyone has had some excellent comments. For me it is the M1911, my personal favorite.

donation2016.gif

donation2017.gif

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

Very tough decision. But i voted for the Garand. I wish i could have voted "all the above." Like everyone else says, the Garand is iconic... and just an awesome rifle.

"Earn this" -Saving Private Ryan

I Voted for the M1A1 Carbine its a great Rifle as used by Paratroopers

for the European Envasion on D-DAY.

http://www.Paratrooper1944.Com/

https://www.facebook.com/paratrooper1944

IN MEMORY OF IRISH/AMERICANS FROM MY COUNTY.
Cpl: Patrick Gallagher, 3rd U.S.M.C Div K.I.A 30/03/1967 Navy Cross
Sgt: Patrick Nevin, B.Co. 1st Bn, 12th Cav, 1st CAVALRY Div K.I.A 23/02/1966

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gif

M3 Grease Gun. The look, the sound.

Rob Cawte

Interested in buying AIR CORPS items, particularly 8th and 9th AAF id'd medals, uniforms/groupings

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

Guess what I voted for? I've got everything but the full-auto goodies and a Johnson. The 03, to me, is a very very finely made rifle, but the combo of semi-auto and 30-06 is something to behold. When I still lived at home on the farm, my M1 did regular groundhog duty and it did it well. Heck of a bullet, which is why I hold it higher than the M1 Carbine on my list. 208th PIR man I know ditched his folding stocked carbine for a Garand, in fact. Said it saved his life at ranges the carbine wouldn't have. That being said, another fella I know that was attached to the 29th, but not a part of it, for the Normandy invasion preferred the carbine because of its light weight and lead-throwability. 1911 is an icon as well, but I'm a rifle man to the core, constantly working on my pistol game, however!

Looking for the following:

452nd and 447th Bomb Group items

Anything 12th Armored- especially uniforms

155th Assault Helicopter Company, Camp Coryell, or Ban Me Thuot Vietnam items[/center]

WWII US Navy Uniforms from the Battle Off Samar: USS Johnston DD-557, USS Hoel DD-553, USS Samuel B. Roberts DE-413, USS Heermann DD-532, USS Dennis DE-405, USS John C. Butler DE-339, USS Raymond DE-341, USS Fanshaw Bay St. Lo, White Plains, Kalinin Bay, Kitkun Bay and Gambier Bay...

donation2011.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2019.gif

I chose the Thompson. I own an M1A1 full auto and I find it to be rugged simplicity. In addition, the Thompson was the real projenitor of the whole class of submachine guns. In fact the term was invented to describe the weapon. If I was going into battle tomorrow, I'd want to be carrying my Thompson.

Tom Bowers

One you want me to pick just one! I guess that will have to be M1919A4. When I was ten my father had to stop by the arms room on post to see someone. They had a half door and my father grabbed a 1919 off the rack put it up on the door shelf and let me play with it. Finally got one but could only afford semi.

I voted for the Garand. All of the weapons listed are great weapons and historically significant but the Garand was "THE" Battle Rifle of WWII and was definitely an advantage on the battlefield for US GI's.

You must prepare your mind for where your body might have to go.

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

I voted for the M1897 Trenchgun,

love the feel of it, the sounds...

Though I'll admit I should work out a little more,

the thing feels heavy to me.

The paint stripping of M1 helmets, particularly protestor helmets, is destruction of history by the very men who claim to protect it.
Always looking for gear and items linked to the following: Joe S. Tamura US Army; Ken Tamura 442nd RCT; Capt. Emerson US Army Medical Corps, Norman Albert Wells Fifth Infantry Division

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

donation2014.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gif

Of course, everyone loves the M1 Garand, but I REALLY love the BAR.. Hands down my favorite US Gun...

Now my FAVORITE ALL TIME gun of WW2 is not American.. It's the German MG-42 followed closely by the SG-44...

Now those are some serious guns.... :rolleyes:

Actively seeking WW2, Korean War and Vietnam War era USMC items

Nothing beats the good old M1911(A1) ...

I loved firing one (it was a modern Springfield, not a Colt, but I loved it), hated to have been forced to sell it.

Erwin

704th Tank Destroyer Battalion

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Well, I just picked up an all correct 1945 Colt 1911 at a gun show yesterday so I am going to say the 1911. This pistol is awesome. I would rate it conservatively at 90%.

Well, I just picked up an all correct 1945 Colt 1911 at a gun show yesterday so I am going to say the 1911. This pistol is awesome. I would rate it conservatively at 90%.

Congrats! We'd really like to see pics! Good ones are getting harder and harder to find.

Former Navy Nuclear Weapons Officer (current member NNWA) collateral duty while active: OIC R&P Team and Base Armory. Life/Patron Member NRA (since 1962); Life Member NCGCA; Member Colt CA; collector/shooter/amateur gunsmith.

donation2013.gif

what!!! me and some other person are the only ones that picked the 1903. You give me a 1903A3 I can break it down put it back togehter and shoot the dingleberries off a groundhog 400 yards away!

Better to fight for something than live for nothing.

-George S. Patton

general_patton3.jpg

Man, you think that's heavy, you oughta heft the Garand. Mine's a good bit heavier than they weigh in at, spec-wise. I was actually surprisedby the manageabilty of my "riotized" 1897, sucker bucks pretty nice if you choke up on it with your cheek!

I'd pick the Thompson if I had a full auto, most likely. Can't pick something I haven't fired or owned. Closest I have is a modern semi-auto that I keep around to remind myself never to buy an Auto-ordnance or Kahr EVER. It was a favorite until it literally started cracking apart.

I love the 03, too. Never missed ANYTHING I have ever fired at with mine. Smoked a groundhog at 150 yards like it was nuthin. I kid you not, I took it home and straight to grandpa's house, as he started me off with an affinity for the 03 (he had one that was stolen, killed my first deer with his brother's that was one of the pair that their dad got for them) and shot a 1" group at 100 yards. I was plenty tickled.

I voted for the M1897 Trenchgun,

love the feel of it, the sounds...

Though I'll admit I should work out a little more,

the thing feels heavy to me.

Looking for the following:

452nd and 447th Bomb Group items

Anything 12th Armored- especially uniforms

155th Assault Helicopter Company, Camp Coryell, or Ban Me Thuot Vietnam items[/center]

WWII US Navy Uniforms from the Battle Off Samar: USS Johnston DD-557, USS Hoel DD-553, USS Samuel B. Roberts DE-413, USS Heermann DD-532, USS Dennis DE-405, USS John C. Butler DE-339, USS Raymond DE-341, USS Fanshaw Bay St. Lo, White Plains, Kalinin Bay, Kitkun Bay and Gambier Bay...

donation2011.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2019.gif

what!!! me and some other person are the only ones that picked the 1903. You give me a 1903A3 I can break it down put it back togehter and shoot the dingleberries off a groundhog 400 yards away!

+1, don't worry gooseandspoons you and me both think the world of the M1903A3. Without question it's the best of all three worlds:

1. The M1903A3 is a breeze to disassemble and assemble and semi-autos can't hold a candle to the classic operation of a bolt-action rifle

2. Just like the M1 Garand, the M1903A3 uses the venerable .30-06 M2 Ball ammunition

3. Just cannot beat the M1903A3 rifle (compared to any other country's WWII bolt-action rifle) for accuracy

Tim

donation2013.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.