"Army Knife" Pocket Knife

Catfishcraig

I found what looks to be a very old pocket Knife in a local antique store identical to the knife pictured below with the exception that the shield is marked “Army Knife” instead of USA and it’s not marked Camillus like most I’ve seen. I can barely make it out, but the blade seems to be marked with an “OV”. Can anyone help me identify the maker and if it is actually military issue? I might go back and buy it if it is.

Thanks

Craig

post-12393-1296229778.jpg

I can't think of any use of an OV stamping offhand...maybe part of something greater? Also, I don't know of any officially issued pocket knives marked ARMY KNIFE, but I seem to recall seeing some commercial versions marked that way.

Here's a couple directions for you to look in:

Hammer Brand made a scout/camp style knife marked ARMY KNIFE, but I don't see how an OV stamping would fit in.

Hibbard, Spencer,Bartlett & Co. had many of their knives made for them by Ulster and Camillus. They sold Scout/ camp type knives, but I don't know of any specifically marked ARMY KNIFE. They did use OVB as a stamping, however. OVB stood for Our Very Best.

Here's a couple directions for you to look in:

Hammer Brand made a scout/camp style knife marked ARMY KNIFE, but I don't see how an OV stamping would fit in.

Hibbard, Spencer,Bartlett & Co. had many of their knives made for them by Ulster and Camillus. They sold Scout/ camp type knives, but I don't know of any specifically marked ARMY KNIFE. They did use OVB as a stamping, however. OVB stood for Our Very Best.

Thank you

From what you described I'm sure the stamp was OVB, it looked like there was another charactor that was worn away after the V. It could also be that the shield may have been replaced at some point.

If I recall the dealer wanted $30 for the knife so I'll probably not go back and buy it.