WWII Parachute, Parts, & Manual for Parafrag

Silence277

I have a question regarding Parafrag bombs. Does anyone know if there is a manual that shows an example of the parachute, the parts that connected to the parachute, which then connected to the bomb. I've searched google and have only come up with TM-E 30-451 'Handbook of German Military Forces'

The reason for my question is my great grandfather was in the 405th BS in the 38th BG. In one of the pictures I have there is a B-25 dropping a parafrag bomb. Any help that you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

post-15442-1296147302.jpg

I believe that there is an FM that cover's aerial bombs, and it may have what you are looking for in that FM. I have an Aerial Bomb FM that is dated I beleive 1943 or 1944, but I am at work right now, and I have no idea in what box it would be in. I cannot recall the exact name of the FM, but I am positive it deals with Aerial Ordnance and Bombs.

Leigh...

Not exactly sure what are are seeking about the chute; but I have a chute assembly for a 250lb bomb somewhere up in my attic.

As best I remember, its an approximately 12" round by about 12' high 'can'. One end of the can has a 3-4" diameter male threaded 'pipe' in the center sticking out a couple of inches.

This would be screwed into the back of the bomb body instead of the usual fins you see on bombs. The other end of the can has a removable top that is attached to some type of a static line that would be secured to the plane. When the bomb drops, the static line releases the pins holding the removable top of the container, and then the chute deploys from inside the container.

I have never opened the chute can, so I can't tell you more abut the chute / deployment mechanism or how the chute is connected inside the can. The can is OD with some markings / dates on it.

Regards,

Steve T

Steve,

Would you be willing to dig the can up from the attic and take some pictures for me? Also do you remember what kind of money you paid for it? Do you if they are readily available to purchase or is that something that you only see once in a blue moon? I really appreciate your help and providing information to answer my question.

Jeremy

Here is the canister with the top off. The plywood ring has some para cord attached in 3 places. The plywood presses in against the chute when the cap is in place. When the cap is released, the plywood ring flies out in the slipstream, pulling and deploying the chute. The chute is assisted in exiting by the holes in the bottom which will help push the chute out. The little paper tag does not belong inside. The cotter pin and tag ( should be two, one for each side) hold the cap on until armed. I just have one and keep it inside for preservation.

post-2326-1296170550.jpg

And the last pic showing the cap. You can see how the static line pin was threaded through the two bracets to hold the can top in place until deployed. Enjoy

Steve T

post-2326-1296171179.jpg

Steve,

I really appreciate you digging that up and sharing with us. I'm definitely going to keep my eyes open to see if I can find one. I think it's a very interesting piece of history. Hopefully I can find the Field Manual as well.

Jeremy

• 2 weeks later...

A friend of mine pointed me to a manual TM 9-1900 Ammunition General. There is a good picture of a Fragmentation Bomb with Parachute on page 138. On 139 there is a pick of a cluster bomb with parachute. Thanks again for all the pictures and information and pointing me in the right direction.

• 1 month later...

I also came across TM 9-1980 Bombs for Aircraft. It shows parafrag bombs with the associated parachute cannisters. Steve there are pictures of your cannister in there as well. Thanks again, I appreciate everyone's help.