Early Fire Bronze USMC Officers Hat Insignia

usmcaviator

Ok, this is probably my favorite piece within my entire collection. I have never seen any other USMC insignia resembling its color. I have seen many "fire bronze" marked pieces, like this one is, but the color of this particular piece is quite literally fire red. It is not painted, I dont know what technique they used to get it this color or what "fire bronze" actually means. Does it mean the piece was actually fired by flame to give it a certain color? (Good discussion point....) This piece nearly looks anodized purple/red. It is downright beautiful. It came (un-named) with a two place ribbon bar for the Haitian campaign medal (either 1915 or 1922) and the WW1 victory medal, and a expert rifleman's badge. So, again, like my BB&B piece I date it as early as 1917 and as late as early 1920's give or take a couple years.

Maj Manifor

post-1-1204416492.jpg

Another incredible piece.

As for "fire bronze" - well I did some research this afternoon and found that it is a term used a lot and so far, never defined. I have started a thread just for Fire Bronze at http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...?showtopic=9951 and hope we can get some photos of just Fire Bronze pieces in one place and see what they have in common. I linked to this piece to start the ball rolling.