Maps or documents printed in Korea?

jcroach1

My dad was part of SCARWAF and served in Korea as a printer from 9/53 to 9/54. He was assigned to Kunsan Air Base, home of the 474th Fighter-Bomber Group, as part of the Army's 420th Engineer Aviation Topographic Detachment. I know he printed maps, calenders and newspapers for the base. I'm sure he printed other types of documents.

I'd love to find copies of some of the items that he might have printed. Anyone ever come across anything like this that would be dated to a specific year or Air Force Base?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to give this one bump. Love to hear about your experiences looking for or finding these types of documents. Especially maps.

Jcroach,

Having served in Army topographic units most of my career I'd recommend you also look for documents that have the 420th name on them, not just by date range. We were required to put our unit ID (and our logo) on all the maps we printed so someone may have these items cataloged by unit, not date.

The 420th existed to print or update aeronautical charts, so I'd be looking for things like air navigation charts, approach plates, airfield maps and layout plans, etc. They probably also become involved in printing maps and reproducing aerial photos for target (bombing) packages. There is a good chance the 420th also provided overflow printing support for regular Army Engineer topographic units that needed extra press capacity to print up maps for ground forces.

Other types of products like calendars and newspapers also probably had the 420th logo or at least name ("Printed by the ...") on them, but since we were barred by regulation from printing non-topographic items I can't say for sure.

Good luck!

Brian

I wish you had written this a couple of months ago.... I let go of a 1980's vintage military map of Korea. The backside had various installation maps in detail.

I realize that is not your Father's era, but many of the base locations have not changed much since the 1950's.

I might have a second one. I'll look around but it may be gone.

• 3 months later...
Jcroach,

Having served in Army topographic units most of my career I'd recommend you also look for documents that have the 420th name on them, not just by date range. We were required to put our unit ID (and our logo) on all the maps we printed so someone may have these items cataloged by unit, not date.

The 420th existed to print or update aeronautical charts, so I'd be looking for things like air navigation charts, approach plates, airfield maps and layout plans, etc. They probably also become involved in printing maps and reproducing aerial photos for target (bombing) packages. There is a good chance the 420th also provided overflow printing support for regular Army Engineer topographic units that needed extra press capacity to print up maps for ground forces.

Other types of products like calendars and newspapers also probably had the 420th logo or at least name ("Printed by the ...") on them, but since we were barred by regulation from printing non-topographic items I can't say for sure.

Good luck!

Brian

I haven't checked this thread in a while. Thank you very much for the information, Brian. Do you know anything else about the 420th? Maybe a image showing their DUI?

hawkdriver

I picked up a handful of Korean War era topo maps that were all printed in 1951 to 53 with road overlays. I just searched topographic map on eBay and found them.

I picked up a handful of Korean War era topo maps that were all printed in 1951 to 53 with road overlays. I just searched topographic map on eBay and found them.

Would you mind posting a couple of pictures of what you found? Do they indicate who printed them? Are they official US military maps? Army or Air Force? Would you be willing to part with a couple of them?