WW1 Patches - Non-Bullion

trenchbuff

daniel griffin
Nice!!! :thumbsup:

I've always wondered what those blue and red coloured centres (bottom row, first and second from left) meant; does anyone know?

Rogier

I have always assumed that the center colors were branch of service colors ,blue for infantry and red for artillery.

Great additions Ron! I really like your Intermediate Service of Supply Uniform.

Thanks Mark

The unniform came out of an estate buy in DesMoines Iowa.

I have really been enjoying all of the patch posts of yours and other members.Great study guide too.The 2nd division variations are outstanding.The painted indians are a favorite and I can see similairities in the painting styles.I have a 2nd uniform from a local veteran and the painted indian is a match to a couple shown.

RD

I have always assumed that the center colors were branch of service colors ,blue for infantry and red for artillery.

Daniel,

That's what I assumed too, but I've never found any "official" confirmation therefore.

I do have an ID'd 13th Field Artillery Uniform with a (faded) red centre, so that seems to correspond with (y)our assumption.

Rogier

Just an awesome thread with super examples. You all better stop or I will catch "the bug"!!!

Really glad you're enjoying the thread! Collecting WW1 patches is a bug well worth catching. Come on in!

You know what is sad? In 30 years of patch collecting, I have yet to have a single original WWI patch in my collection.... It must be me.... :ermm:

-Ski

Ski,

WW1 is kind of a forgotten war. Part of the reason, as most of us know, is that WW2 provided so much history and material. Not to mention so many heroes. Hollywood also probably played a big role in pushing WW1 out of public view. Couple good "Band of Brother" style movies on WWI would do a lot in attracting younger collectors. There's a fairly new book out by a fellow named Edward Lengel called "To Conquer Hell". It's about the Meuse-Argonne and does a terrific job describing the hell our American Doughboys went through. It's unbelieavable what those guys accomplished under the conditions they fought. If you get a chance, read this book, and then, well...you'll start collecting WWI patches.

I got these from my grand uncle many years ago. He was a corporal with the 307th Engineers.

post-20979-1298826939.jpg

Very nice family pieces! Thanks for sharing them.