Relic knife found in Kalabera Pass, Saipan

Drenthe

Can anyone identify this knife? It was found in the Kalabera Pass where there was some serious fighting going on. I am pretty sure that it is a standard U.S. issue military knife, but I would like to have the specs.

post-20320-1295928444.jpg

It appears to be an M-3 fighting knife that was US issue during WWII.

Although the guard is different, we'll have to wait for others.

post-8213-1295928952.jpgpost-8213-1295928966.jpg

Im thinking Kabar with that thick butt and I see a portion of the false edge on the top of the blade.

RD

Yah R,

I was thinking one or the other, I got fooled by the guard.

You're no doubt correct.

Yah R,

I was thinking one or the other, I got fooled by the guard.

You're no doubt correct.

Robin

Was a close call/I had to take a double look. ;)

RD

thanks for the quick replies! It looks like it took a hard hit from something. The tang is bent and the point is broken off.

I love it when you talk that way. :rolleyes:

you know what they say...I like my women like my coffee.....hot and murky :blink:

wait a minute...I dont drink coffe :pinch:

thanks for the quick replies! It looks like it took a hard hit from something. The tang is bent and the point is broken off.

Bending the guard towards the butt was a quick way to tighten the leather rings on the grip when they got loose. Some guys also just liked to do that. Lots of blade tips were broke off trying to pry things open. This knife may have been discarded for that reason. Way cool, regardless. :thumbsup:

Can anyone identify this knife? It was found in the Kalabera Pass where there was some serious fighting going on. I am pretty sure that it is a standard U.S. issue military knife, but I would like to have the specs.

You have posted some interesting photos from a battlefield most of us will never see. Don't be shy post more!

Keith

Thanks! I see a lot of stuff out here, but I have to remember to take pics. I am trying to discipline myself to take pics of these relics exactly as I find them, prior to picking them up. I found a grenade the other day that was so corroded it split in half. It almost looked like a cutaway. I regret that I broke away the rest of it from the fuse prior to taking any pics.

Bending the guard towards the butt was a quick way to tighten the leather rings on the grip when they got loose. Some guys also just liked to do that. Lots of blade tips were broke off trying to pry things open. This knife may have been discarded for that reason. Way cool, regardless. :thumbsup:

Thanks, I learned something new!