Yet another lend lease pistol belt, ammo pouch pairing

rambob

Went ahead and bit on one of the "lend lease" pistol belt and Thompson 5 cell ammo pouch pairs on EPay to go with my M1928 Thompson dummy SMG made from a Russian lend lease parts kit. Delivered to my door, albeit by donkey mail, for less than $50. Both items mint, with the ammo pouch having the suspect U.S. ink stamped on the back. The question I have is the pistol belt has the R.M. CO. 1941 ink stamped on the inside and no U.S. on the outside. Did this belt start life as unmarked and "someone" enhanced it by ink stamping the inside. What do you all think of the markings.? You won't hurt my feelings if they are bogus. Regardless, I think they are still WWII era because both items have tha smell.

Bob

post-299-1295912311.jpg

post-299-1295912325.jpg

For the lovers of "museum grade" Russia is a gold mine. I bought the twin of this belt years ago when very few people knowed the provenience and prices were quite high, about 50$. I was lucky cause mine was advertised as 1947 made so no other bids.

The only thing I'm disappointed with russian lend lease stuff occurs when sellers put unnecessary stencils for sale appeal. The item dont become a "fake" but a messed one. Tipical is the "USMC" you can find on originally unmarked (as this one) belts or the big "US" on the back of 5 cells tommygun pouches.

BTW Bob, look at the keepers and you'll see they are made out of copper and not brass. It's a distinctive sign of 1941 production.

Artu, Thanks for the confirmation. I knew the belt was period, but didn't know if the ink stamps were original. BTW. You are indeed correct that the keepers are made out of copper.

Bob

combat-helmets

Ah!! The old lend lease belt! I got quicky up to speed on these thanks to fellow forum members.

Here's my post:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...;hl=Pistol+belt

I'm a USMC collector and thought I picked up a nice minty one on the cheap.

Yours is very nice in that it had NO markings. Mine was enhanced with a "USMC" stamping.

Original wartime issue? Yes. However artificially enhanced with a bogus stamp..

I think these should have a place in everyones collection for what they are, but belts from this maker are highly watched for because of their association with a well know Russian fake artist, but the belts themselves are legit...

Sounds familiar. Around Christmastime, I bought 2 sets of pistol belt/5 cell Thompson pouch combos from a seller in the Ukraine. No maker marks, but US stamped on the pistol belts & on the backs of the pouches. The only problem is the US on the belts (and most likely the pouches too) was added by someone & NOT original. How do I know? It was stamped in the correct spot on the belt, but upside-down! It's ok if you wear your pistol belt with the snap for the .45 mag pouch on the right, but...

Well, while the big US on the ammo pouch was added by the ukainian guy, the ones on ebelts are 99.9% genuine as well the upside down US. I bought an half dozen but an english buddy bough a whole crate of them and his pics are a good witness of it.

In the pic three Froelich

post-67-1296375632.jpg