Two Vietnam Unknown Theater Made Patches

OEF COLLECTOR

OEF COLLECTOR

I have a few questions on these two Vietnam theater made patches. My first question is what unit are they? My second is value, how much are they worth? Thanks in advance.

post-21753-1295741248.jpg

C 2/61 ADA looks to have been stationed in Korea, based on a quick sweep through Google. That would match up with the way the patch is sewn. I can't find a good unit history, but there are a number of vet posts.

THe 59th is from the 50s in my opinion.Have seen them on the early nylon flight jackets

The started at Mitchel Field (later Mitchel AFB) on Long Island, which was a driver and five iron from my boyhood home. I remember seeing that emblem on a wall inside one of the old buldings there. It's been a college campus for almost 50 years.

Without having a unit history handy it is hard to say on the C 2/16.

However the Chaparrel Missile system was fielded between 1969 to 1998. If I had to guess I would say this was made in Korea in the 1970's or 1980's. I think even in Korea the Army phased out pocket patches with the introduction of BDU's in 1983, so this probably came before then.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIM-72_Chaparral

The Chaparral was basically a US Army adaptation of the highly successful Sidewinder missile. Now, bouncing a missile that was supposed to be carried in flight on an aircraft across bumpy and rocky terrain... maybe not the best match.

The 59 is old US made. I've seen, held or had numerous 59 patches like this, all were US made exactly like this. The only Japanese one known for this unit is larger and has many different details. Yours is most likely 60s, as a different design (a lion) was used early on, and a much larger chain stitched on felt was used after that. Below shows the difference in size and detail, with your version on the bottom. The 59 FIS inactivated in Dec of 1966.

Randy

post-8832-1295751455.jpg