Questions on American Legion Pins

siege1863

Are the stars found on the AL caps representative of each year of membership?

There has been some discussion here about the "Aerial Round-Up" pin. I have seen "Air Mail Round-Up" pins for later years. Does anyone know more about this award?

For the upcoming year of 1949, there was a massive push to increase membership in the AL. For members who recruited 40(?) new members, they were recognized with the "49er" award. Everyhing I have read says this was merely in the form of a gold-lettered card. I am aware of an AL pin in the shape of a shovel, symbolic of the Gold Rush "49ers." Has anyone else seen one of these?

Thanks.

There has been some discussion here about the "Aerial Round-Up" pin. I have seen "Air Mail Round-Up" pins for later years. Does anyone know more about this award?

For the upcoming year of 1949, there was a massive push to increase membership in the AL. For members who recruited 40(?) new members, they were recognized with the "49er" award. Everyhing I have read says this was merely in the form of a gold-lettered card. I am aware of an AL pin in the shape of a shovel, symbolic of the Gold Rush "49ers." Has anyone else seen one of these?

Thanks.

Are these the shovels: http://cgi.ebay.com/American-Legion-Campai...1QQcmdZViewItem

eBay item # 160154823764

• 2 years later...

Thanks.

The star patches on the AL uniform caps ARE representative of years in good standing. They run in 5 year increments. I have been a member for 9 years and have a 5 star on my cap. next year I will change it to 10.

• 12 years later...
S.ChrisKelly

The star in post #4 is the current American Legion Emblem Sales official metal membership star.  One gold star for each five years of continuous (not aggregate) membership.  This is an alternative to the membership patch mentioned in post #3.  The stars were the initiative of a New England post some decades ago, and were approved for wear by the American Legion via National Convention.

There are also membership pins, which have changed over the years.  Today they're standardized, as shown in the final image.

72320.jpg

legion10yrs.jpg

legion15yrs.jpg

1104670000_tp.jpg

1104670009_tp.jpg

legion25yrs.jpg

american legion45b.jpg

americanlegion45a.jpg

legion50yrs.jpg

amleg(2).jpg

il_794xN.3990450645_2b5g.jpg

legionmem(1).jpg

legionmem(2).jpg

715150.jpg

The American Legion sure had a wide variety of membership pins.  Collecting them may as well be a career in and of itself.