WWII Piece of Field Gear Identification Help Please??

drwitte

Hey all,

I recently obtained this piece of field gear which has "US Hinson 1943" on it. I have no idea what it is or what it was even used for. It seems like it was some type of harness but I can't make out what for. I know Hinson made rucksacks for the mountain troops so I'm wondering if it was some type of harness for hauling sleds/75mm howitzers. Anybody have any idea? Thanks for your help.

IMG_1068.jpg

I would say you are on the right track.I was thinking some sort of Trace harness or something for pulling a sled or carriage.

Hinson was based in Waterloo Iowa.

RD

I used something similar made of nylon in Winter survival training... Normally two men wore the harness... one in front and one behind the Akyo (small, shallow sled used for transporting gear like stoves and tents and such in the snow.) One guy pulled, the other provided drag to slow it down going down hill to keep it from crashing into the front guy.

Wayne

Thank you all. I'm pretty confident now that it probably was used by mountain troops who were always pulling sleds loaded with equipment and their dismounted, dissembled 75mm howitzers up and down the mountains. It may have been a non unique issue item for other units in northern regions where they ran into snow also. I'm surprised I cannot find a references to this piece in any of the books, especially Enjames' Volumes I and II.