Germans or doughboys?

artu44

Another one on German First World War uniforms. Although this is a reenactor's Great War association website, you guys know how reenactors get a__al about following real regulations and photos.

The Great War Association-German uniforms link here.

See U5. Foot Gear, sections C and D. Ankle boots and Leggings/Puttees.

Luis Ramos

Guys-

Although several readers have pointed out to some items making the soldiers in these photos as American soldiers, the use of puttees is not an indication of the soldier not being German.

WW I German soldiers did wear puttees.

See the following links:

WWII Axis Reenactment Forum here.

See the sixth photo down, the Prussian soldier, not clear but it seems to me he wears puttees over short ankle boots. Photos of First War German soldiers here.

Second World War German officer wearing puttees here.

Axis History Forum Second World War info on German puttees here.

Luis Ramos

Yes, that's true that German forces in WWI, just like pretty much every other army, adopted wrapped puttees. You might want to be a bit more selective in attempting to provide proof of that, however, since three of your above links relate to WWII. Not to get too off-topic, but Gebirgsjaeger (mountain troops) wore wrapped puttees in WWII and gamaschen are the standard buckled canvas gaiters, not wrapped puttees, so neither one of these is related to Germans in WWI.

You might want to be a bit more selective in attempting to provide proof of that, however, since three of your above links relate to WWII.

I have been very selective.

Although the first linked post does refer to the Second World War, about the fifth post does state use of the First World War German puttee. I quote from that post:

i'v got hold of a pair of the ww1 german puttees 9ft long so i will get 3 sets out of them just need to find the hooks & buckles...

I stated on the two lower links I provided that they applied to the Second World War.

So your criticism is valid for only two of my links, not three. Anyway, that is why on the link I stated Second World War. Because if you read that part, you can decide it will be about the Second Word War and maybe not relevant!

By the way, the Second World War German officer is not wearing canvas gaiters but wrapped puttees.

Rather than trying to discredit a member that has been posting a long time, why didn't you added to the discussion in a constructive way?

:rolleyes:

Luis Ramos

I have been very selective.

Although the first linked post does refer to the Second World War, about the fifth post does state use of the First World War German puttee. I quote from that post:

I stated on the two lower links I provided that they applied to the Second World War.

So your criticism is valid for only two of my links, not three. Anyway, that is why on the link I stated Second World War. Because if you read that part, you can decide it will be about the Second Word War and maybe not relevant!

By the way, the Second World War German officer is not wearing canvas gaiters but wrapped puttees.

Rather than trying to discredit a member that has been posting a long time, why didn't you added to the discussion in a constructive way?

:rolleyes:

Luis Ramos

Discredit you? You're joking, right? You can go back a couple of posts and see I already added to this discussion in a constructive way, but will now find better things to do with my free time.

By the way, my comments about gemaschen refer to the link titled Axis History Forum Second World War info on German puttees here, which discusses them. I made no comments what-so-ever about the WWII photo of the German officer.

So, we've gone from talking about the originally posted WW1 image to a dicission about who wore wrap puttees and when. I think it has been established the image is a First World War US Army Signal Corps photograph of US "Doughboys" modeling German armor and an anti-tank rifle. The characteristics of a WW1 Stormtrooper, while interesting and easily researched, are irrelevant. As B229, said, WW1 soldiers of all nations used wrap leggings.

OK guys, now be quiet.

B229 made a series of good points regarding the fellows in the photograph. I think it is pretty clear that these soldiers are Doughboys. In my humble opinion, even if you disregard the fact that this is a Signal Corps photo, the breeches give it away. That was my gut reaction when I saw the photo even before I knew the history of it. Facial expressions and how "well-fed" they are is completely subjective and impossible to measure. The trousers and equipment are the tell-tale signs.

Just my thoughts. No reason to scuffle on the forum over it.

-John