Army General Staff Branch Insignia

hirsca

I found this today at an estate sale along with several other military insignia. It measures just shy of 1" in diameter. I apologize for the crappy pics , but they were taken in available light. The star is silver in color, not brass. Are these common? Value? Thanks, Al Hirschler in Dallas.

post-12790-1295668120.jpg

post-12790-1295668131.jpg

i found a similar one in an antique store a couple weeks ago. it was marked Sterling as well, but looks newer than this one, for the silver is more shiny and the eagle design is more detailed. i got it for $2.

• 2 years later...
roadrunner

Hello

Here are the two General Staff collar insignia I received.

Meyer NY, sterling - front

HAVE A NICE DAY

Michael

post-8324-0-80621300-1368024440.jpg

Al...yours looks to be a 40s-50s period item. I've got a set of "modern" ones (90s?) and the stars are "chromed" silver rather than pure STERLING like yours. Nice piece. Shame you couldn't get a matched pair!

Jack's Son
It seems I put my thread in the wrong Forum. I have a new medal grouping that had some insignia that I did not recognize, the members came to the rescue, but perhaps this is the correct thread.
General Staff Badges, I have a pair, both are Tiffany and have the familiar clasp.
post-8213-0-27347100-1368027228.jpg post-8213-0-75408500-1368027247.jpg

Jack's Son

"Wailuna" was able to ID these for me....

post-8213-0-52486100-1368027479.jpg post-8213-0-44864700-1368027493.jpg

This was a short lived collar insignia authorized in December 1916 for wear by officers appointed to serve as chiefs of staff or assistant chiefs of staff of Army or National Guard divisions and higher level commands who could not be detailed to the General Staff Corps because of statutory restrictions on the total number of officers who could serve on the Army General Staff at one time. After Congress gave the president authority in May 1917 to expand the wartime Army “as necessary” all officers serving in these positions could be detailed to the General Staff Corps, in which capacity they were authorized to wear General Staff Corps insignia. The six pointed star insignia was rescinded in December 1917. See page 327, Chapter 35, Encyclopedia of United States Army Insignia and Uniforms by William K. Emerson (link here).

Ian,

I like those, they are bright and colorful. What era are they?

I've had them a while...since the 90s I think...so maybe anytime 70s > 90s? The style of the hallmark will be a clue...I'll need to look it up!