What era do you believe this picture is from?

Manchu Warrior

Manchu Warrior

post-1412-1189547051.jpg

I know this is not the best photo but just wondering if anyone can tell what era they believe this picture is from? The uniform looks to be WWI but the hat has a more western look to it. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

IMPERIAL QUEST

My opinion is Pre-WW I, Spanish American War time period.

I would add that my opinion is mostly based on the "slouch hat" look that the soldier is wearing as can be seen in photos from that period.

Additionally, if the frame is original to the picture, and it probably is, it has a late 1880's/Victorian look to it. Usually, post-early 1900 frames are more robust-looking and the use of gilt over wood had started to give way to more figural stained wood variations and styles.

To me it looks closer to WWI then Span Am....could be a Montana peaked campaign hat with the peaks pushed out or a earlier hat worn after 1904.....the tinting style looks later as well.....a nice image!

Yes, I agree. It looks like just pre-WWI. Perhaps Mexican Border Service? To me, the coat looks like your basic M1912 service coat. (Or M1910?) Either way, I don't think that it is Spanish American War. We should also remember that the Victorian era was carried into the 20th century. Though the Late Victorian era ended in the 1890's, there were many that liked that style, and so it merged with the "newer" era's. In this case, "Art Nouveau", or the era just preceding it.

Chris

The tunic has collar disks on it that indicates it has to be post 1910. I would believe WW-I would be the era. Dan

I would agree that it is 1910-1925 era. The hat then was not worn nearly as stiff as it was later -- that really came along in the late '20s-earl'y '30s. Since the collar disc seems a bit bright, it could be the 1924 change to gilt, but then again the pic is hand-tinted, so who knows for sure. You'd have to see the original photo they worked from.

G

It is hard to tell, again because it is hand tinted, but he looks like he may be an aviation cadet (indicated by the white band peeking out over the brim of the campaign hat).

Of course, it might just be artistic license on the part of the photograph tinter.

Chris

It's definately not Span-Am War since the uniform is a post 1900 OD. I agree that it's WWI era and the white hat band indicates either an aviation cadet or an officer candidate.