Canvas & frame packboard - not plywood

Bob Hudson

That's what I wanted to know. Great info. I missed that entire section before. I need to go back and re-read all of the reference sections. Thanks again.

Levi

• 4 months later...

I just ran across another version of a military pack frame after following up on request on another thread concerning something called a "Canvas Workers Roll": http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...showtopic=18801

The one in that post has no frame, just a wooden brace, but one I found on ebay looks like this:

post-214-1208577078.jpg

post-214-1208577099.jpg

• 1 year later...

The packboard at the very start of the thread conforms to instructions on how to build a packboard at troop or company level from a 1945 issue of the Cavalry Journal

Even the components used are mentioned in the article

Hope this helps

Sam

The packboard at the very start of the thread conforms to instructions on how to build a packboard at troop or company level from a 1945 issue of the Cavalry Journal

Even the components used are mentioned in the article

Hope this helps

Sam

Do you have a scan of that you can post?

Can hardly wait to see that, Sam...I humped one of the folding packboards in the Boy Scouts, Dad having bought it for me at the surplus store. I've always wondered what their origins were, especially after becoming familiarized with the far superior Yukon board.

post-6975-1246644890.jpg

post-6975-1246644906.jpg

post-6975-1246644920.jpg

post-6975-1246644933.jpg

Components of the mystery packboard??? Folding cot, mosquito net bar frame assembly.

After reading and looking at the "mystery packboard" this came to mind, what do you all think?

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I am looking for help with this new find.

This packboard came in the same auction lot as the other 1944 dated packboard I posted.

As you can see, it has an open wood frame painted O.D. The canvas seems to be the same as on the WWII packboards, with the same # of grommets. Bottom shelf flips out.

I can not find any markings on either canvas or the wood.

I seems a little 'lightweight' so I am wondering if it is even a military packboard, and if so, from what period ????

1256393160.jpg

1256328569.jpg

1256328591.jpg

Thanks for any insight :think:

I'd love to figure out what I have here!

Doc

You are at least the third forum member to find one of these and no one as yet knows where they came from. I will move your posts into the existing thread about these.

1256393160.jpg

Maybe some 1940´s - 1950´s Boy Scout stuff?

Ceck for BSO pictures from that period, maybe that will help.

I have the same one as mdeevl, I got it at an antique shop for $5 I think. For some reason I had "WWI packboard" in my head when I bought it, I later decided it was some sort of BSA or civilian camping/hunting pack board and gave it to my Dad, who collects Boy Scout stuff.

The old surplus store in our town (gone for decades, like most of 'em :crying: ) had a stack of these brand new, and Dad bought me one to use in the Scouts. I have no idea as to its origin, whether civilian or military.

• 2 months later...

I just got one of these as well. I will post a few close up pics to better showcase the hardware. Just like the others, no markings. Mine had 550 cord on it. My guess is that the old string was bad at one point and then replaced. I will eventually list this item, so if anyone is interested, send me a PM.

John

post-5056-1263361288.jpg

post-5056-1263361299.jpg

post-5056-1263361313.jpg

post-5056-1263361323.jpg

post-5056-1263361337.jpg

post-5056-1263361346.jpg

• 9 months later...
craig_pickrall

Your wood frame with canvas cover packboard is the standard Army Yukon packboard. The wire frame item is marked France. This is a US only military forum so the wire frame item should not be discussed further.