WW1 Occupation on WW2 uniforms?

Stinger Gunner USMC

Stinger Gunner USMC

Over the years I have come across many WW2 uniforms that sport the WW1 occupation ribbon. Some I have passed on and a couple I have in my collection they look like they have been there forever. several of these uniforms have been id'd and are not vets from WW1 or of the period there-after. Are these signs of a made up uniform or was it common practice? Also while on the topic of occupation ribbons, does anyone know what the ww2 occupation ribbon that has a white stripe between the black and red fields if for.

Over the years I have come across many WW2 uniforms that sport the WW1 occupation ribbon. Some I have passed on and a couple I have in my collection they look like they have been there forever. several of these uniforms have been id'd and are not vets from WW1 or of the period there-after. Are these signs of a made up uniform or was it common practice? Also while on the topic of occupation ribbons, does anyone know what the ww2 occupation ribbon that has a white stripe between the black and red fields if for.

I'll throw in on this one. Basically, what you have there are GI's who put the "Occupation of Germany" ribbon on in place of the "Occupation and Service" ribbon. The WWI version wasn't approved until 1941, but when it was, this ribbon would have been available in the stateside PX's and other locations. The WWII version, although authorized in 1946, wasn't even distributed until 1947. Thus, if you are a member of the 'occupying forces' of Germany, and you want to show off your service, then you find that ribbon in the px if you leave Germany in 1946.

So, while it's not the correct period ribbon to be worn, it's not a significant sign of a put together uniform, but rather of the GI using what was available at the time to show off his "occupation service".

Not sure what you mean with the description of the other ribbon, tho.

I too have those ribbons with the white stripe you describe, but I'm not sure what they're for...maybe an early version or a mass produced error?

Stinger Gunner USMC

Here is the ribbon that is similar to the occupation ribbon. the upper one is the one in question. this set is from a 3rd Amphib Corps unifrom that had both versions.

I had once heard this ribbon called a liberation of either New Zeland or New Guienia (I cant remember Which it was) but I thought that was probably BS!

about 90% that ive seen are the 1/2" variety but i have seen them in 3/8" also

and now that I think of it I cant remember if I have ever seen one that wasn't a Wolf Brown (Plastic)

post-1672-1189564292.jpg

Here is the ribbon that is similar to the occupation ribbon. the upper one is the one in question. this set is from a 3rd Amphib Corps unifrom that had both versions.

I had once heard this ribbon called a liberation of either New Zeland or New Guienia (I cant remember Which it was) but I thought that was probably BS!

about 90% that ive seen are the 1/2" variety but i have seen them in 3/8" also

and now that I think of it I cant remember if I have ever seen one that wasn't a Wolf Brown (Plastic)

The ribbon in question is quite legit and found frequently on USMC uniforms of the WW2 period. Here is the data on it:

The World War II China War Commemorative Medal

The medal was issued by the Republic of China to any American or other member of the Allied Forces who served in the China Theater for at least 30 days between September 1939 and September 1948. The China Theater was defined as mainland China, Formosa, any part of the CBI Theater, and the waters of the Yellow Sea, or East and South China Sea. Also included is service in the Philippines, and participation in the Okinawa operation. The medal is no longer issued by the Republic of China.

Here are photos of the ribbon on two of my uniforms.

post-569-1189604417.jpg

Notice it is worn upsaide on the dress blues.

post-569-1189604450.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
The ribbon in question is quite legit and found frequently on USMC uniforms of the WW2 period. Here is the data on it:

The World War II China War Commemorative Medal

The medal was issued by the Republic of China to any American or other member of the Allied Forces who served in the China Theater for at least 30 days between September 1939 and September 1948. The China Theater was defined as mainland China, Formosa, any part of the CBI Theater, and the waters of the Yellow Sea, or East and South China Sea. Also included is service in the Philippines, and participation in the Okinawa operation. The medal is no longer issued by the Republic of China.

This was timely information, because I recently found a CBI ribbon bar that included this ribbon, and I didn't know what it was:

post-265-1190419156.jpg