Annoying re-enactors interacting with the public...

willysmb44

Good point. At an airshow my group does a large display at, we get people with highly questionable impressions (if you could call them that) and just walk in, so they don't have to pay gate admission. They don't really try to be re-enactors as such, but just wanna walk around in a uniform that is quite off indeed. It's annoying to those of us who have put a great deal of time, effort and money...

This is easily rectified by mandating all re-enactors be preregistered. That way if some one's not on the list they don't get in for free.

-Bitsy

This is easily rectified by mandating all re-enactors be preregistered. That way if some one's not on the list they don't get in for free.

-Bitsy

Aye, that happens at the likes of the Glenn Miller festival at Twinwood...

Here's another one, the "I've got a veteran" guy...

We, the FSSF-UK have been accused of that as we've had Sam Magee (FSSF 6-3 veteran) over with us at shows four years on the trot, taking an active part in our presentations on our displays, including two field trips to Italy and southern France, I recall one little man critisising, which mostly stemmed from jealousy, then went onto post a load of photos of him with a veteran at a show with the words "and with a veteran", no name, an insult really...

And that's wot they guys do, they see a veteran and rush over like flies to shite snapping away and not really interested just want the prestige of being seen wi "a veteran"...

Oh this drives me nuts! I work REAL HARD to keep from bringing any modern things to the WW2 side. One that REALLY drives me nuts is the ones who ALWAYS use a "modern" style of salute, it looks straight out of the 1980's instead of having a proper 1940's salute.

Scott

can't really hold it against them if they have served, it's programmed into em at this point

can't really hold it against them if they have served, it's programmed into em at this point

Exactly why they should re-evaluate their approach to "re-enacting" the 1940s, and goes across the board in almost everything their learned in a modern army...

Hell guys I was in for 27 years and taught MYSELF not to "salute modern"! If you're going to portray a WW2 soldier DO IT RIGHT all the way! C'mon, it's kinda a cop out to say "I was active so I don't have to salute that way 'cause I saluted this way". It's not rocket science and it's easy as hell to do.

Scott

Do veterans ever call some of these types out? Maybe not so much WWII, but Vietnam? I'm pretty sure if the know-it-all-type said something stupid reenacting my war I'd just hit him

Needless to say, if they ever reenact the GWOT, you won't find me there

Do veterans ever call some of these types out? Maybe not so much WWII, but Vietnam? I'm pretty sure if the know-it-all-type said something stupid reenacting my war I'd just hit him

Needless to say, if they ever reenact the GWOT, you won't find me there

As for GWOT, believe it or not, YES THEY ARE! Here in the states AND in Europe, especially in the eastern European countries! And as for WW2 vets, it depends on the impression you have. Some vets don't like to see it but as a whole much more DO like seeing the displays.

Scott

As for GWOT, believe it or not, YES THEY ARE! Here in the states AND in Europe, especially in the eastern European countries!

You also see a great deal of this with the airsoft folks, but I'd consider that a totally different topic...

You also see a great deal of this with the airsoft folks, but I'd consider that a totally different topic...

Saw of couple of these guys last year at Fort Mac, as characters from the new (at the time) Call Of Duty.

Felt weird seeing em amongst Vietnam and before.

they're reenacting a current war???

Why not just enlist and fight in it?

I guess some are too young and then some are in countries not involved.

Scott

they're reenacting a current war???
Some of these airsoft kids aren't even old enough for high school yet. I got into airsoft a few years back, and quickly realized it was not for me. Too many children (and to me, they almost were all children) trying to tell me I was wrong about my own service because the internet, videogaes and cable TV said otherwise. The worst was the kid who once tried to lecture me for 20 minutes on the foundation of Stryker Brigades. I told him several times I was in the very first one of those types of units and was involved in the formation of the concept itself. Little creep wouldn't listen. Go look at some airsoft forums and you'll see what I'm talking about. People say that many re-enactors are "wanna-be's" but airsofters REALLY are so when they mostly want to focus on the newest stuff.

Some of these airsoft kids aren't even old enough for high school yet. I got into airsoft a few years back, and quickly realized it was not for me. Too many children (and to me, they almost were all children) trying to tell me I was wrong about my own service because the internet, videogaes and cable TV said otherwise. The worst was the kid who once tried to lecture me for 20 minutes on the foundation of Stryker Brigades. I told him several times I was in the very first one of those types of units and was involved in the formation of the concept itself. Little creep wouldn't listen. Go look at some airsoft forums and you'll see what I'm talking about. People say that many re-enactors are "wanna-be's" but airsofters REALLY are so when they mostly want to focus on the newest stuff.

I feel the same way about Call Of Duty and paintball.

If you really wanna "recreate it" and Re-enacting is just

a bunch of "wanna-bes", try simunitions!

Those hurt like !$%$

I feel the same way about Call Of Duty and paintball.

If you really wanna "recreate it" and Re-enacting is just

a bunch of "wanna-bes", try simunitions!

Those hurt like !$%$

The funny thing is more and more the reenacting community is getting vets into it. I know more vets (including myself) who reenact than nonvets! :thumbsup:

Scott

The funny thing is more and more the reenacting community is getting vets into it. I know more vets (including myself) who reenact than nonvets! :thumbsup:

Scott

I think that's cool,

I've met a VN vet who does living history for VN,

I just get tired of hearing that re-enacting is a bunch of

"wanna-bes" from airsofters.

Heck, out of our unit alone, out of 9 fellows, 6 are vets and range from Viet Nam to GWOT!! B) AND ALL the services except coast guard!!

Scott

Wannabe? Doesn't a guy reenact with real guns in most cases??? I never reenacted because of that run in I mentioned earlier, but I'd tolerate airsoft even less it seems. I like collecting uniforms and shooting guns. I remember a young kid (I wasn't much past being a kid, i was only 22 or so) telling me carbine was pronounced "carbIne" after I called mine a carbEEn. Distionary says either is appropriate, but since I'm the fella that has one, doesn't that mean I can call it Charlene if I feel so inclined???

I think that's cool,

I've met a VN vet who does living history for VN,

I just get tired of hearing that re-enacting is a bunch of

"wanna-bes" from airsofters.

Wannabe? Doesn't a guy reenact with real guns in most cases??? I never reenacted because of that run in I mentioned earlier, but I'd tolerate airsoft even less it seems. I like collecting uniforms and shooting guns. I remember a young kid (I wasn't much past being a kid, i was only 22 or so) telling me carbine was pronounced "carbIne" after I called mine a carbEEn. Dictionary says either is appropriate, but since I'm the fella that has one, doesn't that mean I can call it Charlene if I feel so inclined???

My brother and I always bicker/argue over carbIne and carbEEn. :lol:

Charlene ehh? ;)

I tried paintball a time of two...after I came into the Corps. problem was too many kids...you felt a bit bad maneuvering in on some ten year olds and gaining fire superiority...was just a slaughter

air softers...got a buddy who does it..puts real money into it, too. I don't have the patience to argue with some 15 year old punk whose seen too many video games and war movies...it's hard enough dealing with PFCs who want to talk a big game, and they're IN the service

Lol great thread.

Anyway, for me I will never reenact, play airsoft, or paintball. I would feel to weird "pretending" to be something I am not. Only time I will wear a uniform would be in the real thing.

Justin

Lol great thread.

Anyway, for me I will never reenact, play airsoft, or paintball. I would feel to weird "pretending" to be something I am not. Only time I will wear a uniform would be in the real thing.

Justin

That's one thing that different with us, we don't "pretend" we ARE a ground crew.

Scott