Question on Sam Browne Belt

vettepartz

I tried the search function, but could not get any info at all. Probably my lack of search knowledge and ability.

Anyway, I just got this belt. It was supposed to be a WWI Sam Browne belt, but looks like something from a much later date. It has the shoulder strap with 2 rings for it, and 2 other rings on the bottom for something. Also, there is another different colored thin piece of leather sewn on the inside which covers the part where the rings are sewn. Any idea what this is and what time period it belongs to?

Belt01-3.jpg

Belt02-3.jpg

In my opinion this belt is neither WWI or US Military. During WWI Sam Brown belts were only worn in Europe, they were actually banned in the US but Pershing like them and required officers to wear them. Most of the ones worn in Europe were of British origin which this one dose not appear to be, the buckle is wrong. The two D rings on the bottom lead me to believe it is not US Military, I don't know what they would be used for, the sword was carried on a chin hanger that was attached to a leather frog on the belt. Sam Brown belts were worn by many countries and both by military and police agencies. I have a feeling this is a police belt but there is really no way to be sure unless you can find some markings on it. There is always the chance it is WWI military as officers had to purchase their belts, they were not issued, so there was no standard pattern during WWI. This one appear to be newer than WWI and I am betting it is actually police.

• 2 months later...

Thanks FriscoHare. That looks exactly like the one I have. I got mine from ebay for around $35. Since Sportsmansguide is sold out, they no longer list their price. Do you remember about what you paid for yours?

Thanks FriscoHare. That looks exactly like the one I have. I got mine from ebay for around $35. Since Sportsmansguide is sold out, they no longer list their price. Do you remember about what you paid for yours?

Hi vettepartz, I got mine for $21.45.