Jaunty angle

Fixbayonets!

I was just looking through a WWII classbook and noticed some the garrison caps. I know it was in style to wear the caps at a jaunty angle but some of these guys took it to the extreme.

Rob

post-168-1295308118.jpg

You know that feeling right before your hat falls off? It bothers me a lot more than it must have bothered these guys! I've got a book with some good pictures of sailors. I am convinced that dixie cup hats ONLY fit at a jaunty angle as every single one is so danged small!

• 11 years later...
16 minutes ago, QED4 said:

What is that on his hat? A cut down Ranger Diamond or something else? I've never seen that before. 

It’s a clipped ranger diamond

My grandfather at age 16 on New Zealand just a few weeks after returning from his first combat on Guadalcanal had evidently caught that Jaunty tilt syndrome!A192346D-C0D8-45DE-9B6D-BE97D49C8E44.jpeg.502de2c47d63627bf2c6e79660c5d574.jpeg

On 1/17/2011 at 8:19 PM, Garandomatic said:

You know that feeling right before your hat falls off? It bothers me a lot more than it must have bothered these guys! I've got a book with some good pictures of sailors. I am convinced that dixie cup hats ONLY fit at a jaunty angle as every single one is so danged small!

You may be right to some degree about the poor fit. I read Jack Lucas', MOH USMC, biography and he talked about getting a new uniform for the ceremony and the photos and everything. One of his biggest comments there was they didn't have a garrison cap that quite fit him. It was one size off, so it fit at an angle. Look at his picture from then. Jaunty angle.

• 2 weeks later...

Pfc. Willard Jenkins wears his PX type cap high and to his right, think at this time he was in the 13th Airborne Division stateside, but in September 1944, Company C, 307th Airborne Engineer Battalion 82nd Airborne Division, and is KIA in Operation Market Garden.

166035665583767900.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think the jaunty look was copying the British RAF who seemed to make it a competition who could basically wear their cap on the side of their head without losing it. I swear some of them must have been using hair clips!