Yet again - Purple Hearts on Ebay

emccomas

Garth Thompson

I exchanged emails with her this morning. She is getting very greedy. Here is her last reply:

"well I already have some considerable offers. Yours would have to blow my socks off! :) We really would like to see this to the end of the auction so we know what it is worth, but yes I will and have considered selling it off line. What is your offer?"

Thanks to whatever pair of idiots bid this lot up over $6K. I hope they are not forum members.

Garth

Was contacted by the seller. Had to defer due to the HIGH amount generated by stupid bidding........

I wonder what it will actually go for?

I am going to argue the statement about this Tarawa KIA group's cost being "stupid bidding"...

Stupid? Relative to what? Because its higher than you thought it was worth / would have paid / or wanted to pay? Stupid relative to the several thousand dollars it would cost for a Pearl Harbor KIA Purple Heart? What would one sell for if one popped up right now? $5,000+ and that is IF one can find them, most Purple Heart collectors do not have one, let alone ever even seen one for sale... and if I told everyone it cost me $5K they'd post "great find" and all that. I have been told by a very reputable friend / dealer of a well papered USS Arizona KIA Purple Heart group from an enlisted man, which several years ago sold for $10,000+! That even though there were twice as many people killed at Pearl Harbor as there were on Tarawa... Stupid compared to the $8,000 many German collectors would not bat an eye at paying for a para helmet? And speaking opf para helmets, what are US WW2 paratrooper helmets selling for now - originals? How much are collectors paying for WW1 U.S. Air Service groups now? WW1 Distinguished Service Cross groups? Heck there were over 6,000 of them given out in WW1 alone, and they STILL to this day will bring several thousand possibly... Far more of them seen out there than there are Tarawa KIA groups I would suspect.

My point is that "stupid bidding" is all relative to one's perspective I guess...

MW

I exchanged emails with her this morning. She is getting very greedy. Here is her last reply:

"well I already have some considerable offers. Yours would have to blow my socks off! :) We really would like to see this to the end of the auction so we know what it is worth, but yes I will and have considered selling it off line. What is your offer?"

Thanks to whatever pair of idiots bid this lot up over $6K. I hope they are not forum members.

Garth

Idiots? Wow. Guess this forum is starting to look like what some others have turned other forums into...

MW

Garth

Greedy? Really? Sounds like a bunch of sour grapes Garth. They are just trying to get as much as they can for the item they have. I see nothing wrong with that. Just because you didn't want to pay that much doesn't make them greedy. As to your comment calling the bidders idiots, they bid what they feel it's worth to them.

Unfortunately, it is comments and collectors like you that don't make collecting fun anymore. In selling things like Purple Hearts on Ebay I am quite familiar with the crap buyers come up with to wrangle the item from a seller. I had a KIA Pearl Harbor heart from an Arizona sailor listed there once and received several emails offering $250 or "$500, that is the most you will get for it" offers. If you want the item, step up and offer a fair price, but don't get hostile when someone beats your price.

Hi Guys,

I think we all need to face out take a knee and have a drink of water. This is getting to hot due to frustrations on many levels.

Respectfully,

John

Raidercollector

I paid more than that for a Iwo group with the ORIGINAL documents and the KIA silver star and purple heartWITH PHOTOS ,Maybe I'm A IDIOT. BUT i LOVE THE GROUP

Garth Thompson

Here is her last and final email concerning the PH.

"Ok, I didn't want to do this, but I am sending you all a group message to let you know that I relisted the grouping only to have to pull it again because Ebay policy states that I can not list, not only the Purple Heart, but I can't list the certificate either. So I was going to revise it once again, but returned home to this email:

For the record, I had nor have any interest in purchasing your grouping but there is much talk about it among collectors, and I have to say it is not good. I also doubt that you husband's uncle would be very pleased that his sacrifice as a young person for our country was being surrounded by such greed on all parties concerned. I hope you think of him lying on Tarawa bleeding to death when you spend whatever money you gain from his death. His items concerning his death should have been retained by your family and used to teach them all the meaning of sacrifice instead of being sold off to the highest bidder like a piece of furniture. May God have mercy on your greedy soul while you try to enjoy whatever it is that you feel the need to buy with your new found blood money.

-

This is the first email I have received from this person. I think he thinks that I pulled the listing a second time because I sold it off line. That is not the case.

I am so upset over this email that I have decided to let things die down for a while before I try to sell it again. I am going to contact some museums, and local collectors before I do anything else.

I feel the need to clear up a few things while I have your attention. This grouping was never going to be sold. It was going to be left to our children, but I lost my job back in August and still have not found one. We have fallen on hard times and needed some extra money. This was the last thing we considered getting rid of. We listed a lot of old jewelry that we inherited first, but won't get as much as we need to get my husbands teeth fixed and get our taxes paid.

I am sorry to drag you all into our ebay drama. But I feel like you all have been with me and guided me through one of the most emotional times in my life. Thank you all, very much for your understanding and love for Robert L. Sanders and his legacy. We appreciate your kind words over the past few days. It has been amazing to see you all say such beautiful things about this grouping and what it stands for.

Thanks again,"

Well that was dramatic including the sanctimonious admonition from - what a sick SOB he is.

Anyway, before this thread becomes as convoluted as his thinking we'll close this to further comment.