Yet again - Purple Hearts on Ebay

emccomas

Collector5516
Good idea - I'd have lost a long time ago tho, I never figured it'd last nearly as long as it has!

I too am surprised it hasn't been pulled. I messaged the seller to tell them that eBay would likely pull the auction and they asked why. I have just started collecting Purple Hearts and when I first saw this group listed I thought it might be worth $1500-$2000.00. Boy, was I wrong. What is a group like this worth? I know it's hard to say because each Purple Heart is a bit different and this is a VERY complete grouping id'd to a Tarawa KIA.

I wonder why he did not offer it here being a member of the forum and all???

If I had to guess, I would say that the seller is looking for an auction to try and get maximum value for the items. For sale items on this forum (and most other forums I frequent) require a fixed price. Just my $0.01 (my opinion ain't worth more than that).

I do pretty good selling Hearts on ebay but I don't use the wording "Purple Heart".

I have noticed that with other Ebay auctions as well. I have seen interesting phrases like "German / Japanese marksmanship medal", "US wound medal", and some that say nothing at all, just showing a pictute of the PH.

I suppose that Ebay scans their ads for prohibited items using a text based search.

I wonder what would happen with an ad that said "Purple He@rt"?

I also suspect that a lot of these ads are being reported by "well intentioned but misguided individuals".

I just noticed that the Tarawa collection does have the words "Purple Heart" in the ad. Price is now at $3750.

OK, for the raffle, I predict that the ad will be pulled by noon today (2/8/11).

And, no, I am not reporting it to Ebay. I don't do that....period!

This one looks interesting, medals and documents from a couple of PT-109 survivors.

Ad states that the Purple Hearts have been removed from the auction to comply with Stolen Valor Act, but I suspect that if

you contact the seller, the PHs will be included to the winning bidder. However, they are replacement medals.

Item:

http://cgi.ebay.com/medal-ribbon-bar-named...=item5638f638f3

Seller:

http://myworld.ebay.com/florennesglcm/

Pics:

post-12036-1297166224.jpg

I wonder why he did not offer it here being a member of the forum and all???

The grouping in question HAS been listed for sale on the forum in the past. If I recall correctly, it was a slow mover. Also, as a side note there was conversation about the engraving on the Purple Heart. There was some consensus that medal is offically hand engraved. For what it's worth I think that is the case. My thoughts only ......

One of the best and most complete Tarawa groups I have ever seen!It would be interesting to see how much it would go for if it was allowed to go the entire time.I hope someone on the forum gets it. I'd really like to see more of it.

One of the best and most complete Tarawa groups I have ever seen!It would be interesting to see how much it would go for if it was allowed to go the entire time.I hope someone on the forum gets it. I'd really like to see more of it.

OK I lose the raffle. It is past noon and the auction is still going. Up to $4050 with 19 bids.

OK I lose the raffle. It is past noon and the auction is still going. Up to $4050 with 19 bids.

WOW Seem like a super group but $4100 ???? Is that way over what it should go for???? :think:

WOW Seem like a super group but $4100 ???? Is that way over what it should go for???? :think:

Looks like someone thinks it is worth that but seems to me some folks have let themselves get caught up in the excitement and driven the price up.. It is a great group but sorry, even if I had the cash it's not worth that to me. :think:

I got out when it was in the 2K range and told the seller that it was out of control, (good for you).

This is WAY beyond the value of grouping.(MHO) :unsure:

Collector5516
I got out when it was in the 2K range and told the seller that it was out of control, (good for you).

This is WAY beyond the value of grouping.(MHO) :unsure:

Agreed. I figured the items were worth around $1600.00 or so if they had been sold separately but because they all belonged together and it was so complete that added a few hundred more. I'm thinking its possible this auction will end somewhere ridiculous like 6500.00 and the bidder does not pay.

I know LOTS of medal collectors who would pay $1500+ just for a USMC Purple Heart with no paperwork and not blink an eye if it was a Tarawa piece.

in 30 years, this is the most complete Tarawa PH group I have seen.

Nuff said!

Kurt

I know LOTS of medal collectors who would pay $1500+ just for a USMC Purple Heart with no paperwork and not blink an eye if it was a Tarawa piece.

in 30 years, this is the most complete Tarawa PH group I have seen.

Nuff said!

Kurt

I have to agree it is as complete a group as one has seen but....I look at the engraving, which normally gets my attention and say yes worth 2K but 4K+ :think: I wonder if this gets killed buy epay if the collector will be able to collect the amount priced so far.... :think:

John

I have to agree it is as complete a group as one has seen but....I look at the engraving, which normally gets my attention and say yes worth 2K but 4K+ :think: I wonder if this gets killed buy epay if the collector will be able to collect the amount priced so far.... :think:

John

I know that seller had been made multiple offers in the range of 4K to close the auction early , before it hit 4K on Ebay. If this was a Pearl Harbor PH it would even go for more. I dont collect USMC groups myself, but I can see why people are going nuts over it.

Kurt

I know that seller had been made multiple offers in the range of 4K to close the auction early , before it hit 4K on Ebay. If this was a Pearl Harbor PH it would even go for more.

Kurt

WOW :blink:

John

p***2 appears to be an experienced bidder. Stupid the way he's running this up.

Send the owner a message and inform him that in the vent the auction is pulled you can have the option of offering a higher price.

blitzkrieg gsd

Wow i cant belive that heart is selling for that much. It makes me think i should get my uncles insured he was kia on omaha beach d-day it has to be just as valuble dont you think. Who could appraise it or give me a value on what it would be worth if its this kind of money i mite want to get it in the deposit box at the bank.

Wow i cant belive that heart is selling for that much. It makes me think i should get my uncles insured he was kia on omaha beach d-day it has to be just as valuble dont you think. Who could appraise it or give me a value on what it would be worth if its this kind of money i mite want to get it in the deposit box at the bank.

Start a thread with some photos.

We'd all love to see it.

And keep it locked up. ;)