Denver show finds, Generals jacket?

dskjl

Well I moved most our duplicates at the show and all that calvary stuff from a previous post. The turn-out was horrible and thee had to be maybe 20 tables that were empty; I did pick-up these two things in trade though. Don't feel good about the officers coat because I know little to nothing about them but it was in trade for stuff I had nothing into. The other is really cool, at least I think so.

IMG_6050.jpg

IMG_6051.jpg

IMG_6059.jpg

IMG_6058.jpg

IMG_6060.jpg

Cobrahistorian

Nice M41! I'm not gettin a warm fuzzy about the BG's jacket though. CIB and Infantry cord with Engineer buttons doesn't add up.

Jon

Nice M41

The officers jacket appears to have the wide general braid that Im familiar with.The buttons are for engineers.Cant help on the rack.As for the infantry cord thats odd but if your into it right its well worth the parts.DFC ribbon isnt what I would expect and no wings??

RD

Nice M41

The officers jacket appears to have the wide general braid that Im familiar with.The buttons are for engineers.Cant help on the rack.As for the infantry cord thats odd but if your into it right its well worth the parts.DFC ribbon isnt what I would expect and no wings??

RD

There are wings but they are army wings, they just dont show to well in the photo. None the less the coat was kind of a gimmie, i have a $125 in trade for the pair.

Cobrahistorian

I think it most likely is an original general's jacket. As Ron pointed out, the cuff braid is definitely General Officer braid. I've seen Infantrymen with Aviator (and Senior Aviator) wings. Remember, Army Aviation wasn't a separate branch until 1983. Many Infantrymen became Aviators. But the CIB and Infantry cord don't match up with the Engineer buttons.

I think it most likely is an original general's jacket. As Ron pointed out, the cuff braid is definitely General Officer braid. I've seen Infantrymen with Aviator (and Senior Aviator) wings. Remember, Army Aviation wasn't a separate branch until 1983. Many Infantrymen became Aviators. But the CIB and Infantry cord don't match up with the Engineer buttons.

Thanks, most importantly my 14 year old thinks it's cool :thumbsup: :lol: :thumbsup: :lol:

Nice M41! I'm not gettin a warm fuzzy about the BG's jacket though. CIB and Infantry cord with Engineer buttons doesn't add up.

Jon

It's quite possible the officer started out in the Infantry and later branch transferred to the Corps of Engineers. It happened a lot with the downsizing after WWII... we needed fewer Infantry officers and more officers in more technical fields.

Thanks for the feedback guys, it's always a pleasure and very educational. The members of this forum have saved my son and I a small fortune with everybody's willingness to share their knowledge and experience.

Thank you,

Dwight and Joe

There are wings but they are army wings, they just dont show to well in the photo. None the less the coat was kind of a gimmie, i have a $125 in trade for the pair.

ooops just saw the wings.Army wings to me mean he was a senior rated helicopter pilot at somepoint???I agree with Gil.Officers have been known to trade branches.I have a group from a local guard guy who retired as transportation officer.He started in the Air Force.Joined the guard in 49 or 50.As an em he was in both medical and supply.Later as an officer he ended up in transportation.As I said im no expert on the ribbon criteria but with the rack it seems odd he didnt have more campaign credits for korea or VN.Also an Ameican defense and no campaigns for WW2 with a European and Pacific campaign medal?? :think:

kyhistorian01

I don't know if this is relevant, but In regards to the Questions about the General's uniform, I have a grouping from a Col who was both an artillery officer and a helo pilot in Vietnam. he was an artillery officer in WWII who qualified as a Liason pilot. In Korea he was commander fo the 40th Division Helo detachment and in Vietnam he served as both a Helo pilot and as Division Artillery commander for the 1st Air Cav Division. So officer cna hold mutipule jobs and switch specialties.

Cobrahistorian
I don't know if this is relevant, but In regards to the Questions about the General's uniform, I have a grouping from a Col who was both an artillery officer and a helo pilot in Vietnam. he was an artillery officer in WWII who qualified as a Liason pilot. In Korea he was commander fo the 40th Division Helo detachment and in Vietnam he served as both a Helo pilot and as Division Artillery commander for the 1st Air Cav Division. So officer cna hold mutipule jobs and switch specialties.

That makes sense. Aviation and artillery were very closely tied together. Organic Army Aviation came into existence to spot and adjust artillery fire.

The explanation that Ron came up with about branch transfer from Infantry to Engineers certainly is plausible. Army Aviators were all qualified for more than one specialty until 1983 when the Aviation Branch became a separate branch. Before that, commissioned Aviators would have to go through a separate Officer Basic Course and be qualified (Infantry/Armor/Artillery/etc.) before they could go to flight school, so it isn't surprising to see Infantry insignia and a pair of Senior Aviator wings.

My concern was simply the contradiction between the Infantry and Engineer insignia. It would be interesting to see if you could nail down whose uniform this was!

Jon

It should probably be noted that any tailor can add that sleeve braid to a jacket and that braid can be purchased from a number of places...

It should probably be noted that any tailor can add that sleeve braid to a jacket and that braid can be purchased from a number of places...

I'd think that would be too much trouble to go to. If someone wanted to dummy up an Army Green uniform for resale, it would be much easier to take one with standard officer's braid and make it up as a Ranger/ Airborne/ Special Forces colonel. Most repro artists are also cheapskates, and take the lowest priced route to making a phoney. Spending $20 to have braid added would normally be too much for these characters.

I am far more concerned with another combination -- It seems highly unlikely that there are many GO's on active duty with the 82nd who have been reservists for at least 10 years as the one ribbon indicates.

There would have been no Engineer officers of that rank with that rank except possibly as commander of the support brigade. I am also surprised that the highest decoration for an officer of that rank is a Bronze Star.

G

The WW2 ribbons would imply that this officer came on AD around 1943. Assuming he served for 40 years (highly unlikely, as a matter of fact I think it is not possible) how did he get FIVE Joint Service Achievment Medals since it did not even come into existence until 1983?

Thanks for the feedback guys, it's always a pleasure and very educational. The members of this forum have saved my son and I a small fortune with everybody's willingness to share their knowledge and experience.

Thank you,

Dwight and Joe

Here's some more... With all due respect. It's Cavalry not Calvary. Calvary is where Jesus Christ was crucified.

Don't mean to embarrass anyone but just wanted to share that little bit of knowledge... That's about the extent of my knowledge.

Over

If I remember correctly, if you transfer branches you get to keep your CIB but you lose the blue cord. That is only for active Infantrymen, so it should never be on the same uniform as the engineer buttons.

Here's some more... With all due respect. It's Cavalry not Calvary. Calvary is where Jesus Christ was crucified.

Don't mean to embarrass anyone but just wanted to share that little bit of knowledge... That's about the extent of my knowledge.

Over

Yes I know I saw that I had made the mistake and waited to long to edit it, I do goofy things like this all the time.

As noted on my post's tag note "bad spellers untie"! :lol: