USMC jacket patches. Phillipine made.

irish

Here are 3 large Marine jacket size patches made in the Phillipines late 70's to 80's. The 31st Marine Amphib Unit became the 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit in 1990 or so, note mispelling of amphibious. The 1/4 Bn Landing Team of the 1st Marine Division and the 3rd Marine Recon Bn. All of these are approx 9" at their widest point, Is my assumption these were made for jackets correct? Speaking of mis-spelling I think I missed Philippine in main title, need to use spell check more often

LeadSafe457.jpg

LeadSafe458.jpg

LeadSafe459.jpg

You are correct that these were made for jackets. This is the sort of thing I mentioned in another thread about the making of cruise jackets in asia. They would crank up these patches and sell them in assorted shops and venues for Sailors/Marines to put on their cruise Jackets. When a unit would leave, they would put out the patches from the units that were comming back in and simply rotate them as units came and went. You usually could tell what ships were going to be relieving you on station by their patches showing up on the shelves replacing your ships patches.

Steve Hesson

Your 31st MAU patch is pre-90's. By the beginning of the 90's the Marine Amphibious Units (MAU) were changed to Marine Expeditionary Units (MEU). My guess would be mid 80's. Anyway, nice patches - Jeff

very interesting. good old fashioned marketing. Thanks Steve

It was a great palce for patch guys. You could get anything made. If you could draw it our for them, they could make it. I had "Assault Boat Signalman patches made for my guys and "Wally Gator" patches (lost them all though over the years). Once they made something, they would make a few exxtra to see if any one else would buy them.

Steve Hesson