Iwo Jima Vet M1 Helmet and grouping

Theorywolf

Just a few more lines from his manuscript about landing on Iwo Jima:

I landed at Iwo on D-Day on Red Beach One at about 1500 hours, and struggled up the deep volcanic ash to the top of the first terrace, below the extinct volcano Suribachi. The enemy fire was relentless and the advance of our infantry could be measured only in yards. At the end of the first horrific day, a good friend, Andy Anderson, and I dug in for the night, facing the heavily defended volcano and watching white tracers arcing at us from above. By morning, the next day, our batteries of 105mm guns were in place and firing at Suribachi. Japanese observers from the heights of Suribachi easily spotted our position. Then, at about 1000 hours all hell broke loose in an endless enemy barrage that lasted without letup until 1600....My function was to receive information on Japanese positions and troop movements from ground and air forward observers and convert the data they gave me into windage and elevation coordinates. I then phoned the coordinates to the four guns of Easy Battery, enabling our gunners to fire for effect at the target - all of this in a matter of seconds. Our team sat in a good-sized underground dugout covered with sand bags and corrugated metal strips for protection against light mortars and small arms fire."

Wow, Mike, just a fantastic group! They don't get much better than this one!!! Thanks a million for sharing, and congrats on owning such an amazing group.

Semper!

Ski

Corpsmancollector

Mike,

An incredible and very complete grouping to a courageous and brave Marine. Thanks for sharing this awesome piece of history and congrats on adding it to your collection!

Will

PFC Donald W. Traub is quoted several times in the book by Major General Fred Haynes (USMC-RET): The Lions of Iwo Jima. Don was a member of the 2nd Battalion, 13th Regiment and was, at first, working in the Fire Control Center after landing on Red Beach 1 around 1500 hrs. Near the end of the battle for Iwo Jima he and others from his company were transferred to the 27th regiment and took part in the final battle for the "Bloody Gorge", also called "Death Valley." Don was wounded on the 23rd of March. In his own words from his writings:

"On the 23rd, we were in an attack on an enemy position very near the water at the North end of the Island. We were sitting in a position which was unintentionally exposed from above for a moment, when one of the others offered me a cigarette. I reached across to accept it just as a bullet passed through my chest. I fell back into a hole in the rocks as the others moved on. I was shot at some more but was protected enough so that I could not quite be researched by the bullets. After some time, a corpsman called out to me from behind. "Can you get yourself back here!!" I got up, tried to run, but fell again. The corpsman ran out and dragged me back to a sheltered area and asked, "Where are you hit?" I said, "Aw, I'm just scratched!" The corpsman said, "Let me see your scratch!" He looked, then said: "I think the war is over for you, Marine!"

The helmet below belonged to Mr. Traub. But the helmet led me to the honor of receiving some of his other bringbacks, including his manuscript, and, the field jacket he wore on Iwo Jima and was wounded in. I also have his dress blue uniform! It is simply the most important and honored grouping of my collecting years! I will have a display on the Pacific this Spring at our University's Library and Don's collection will certainly be the center piece.

mike

incredible grouping and thanks for sharing with the forum members. perhaps i missed it somewhere in the following thread....but (question)--

how were you so lucky to obtain such a complete WW2 USMC grouping? was the veteran a relative, friend, neighbor, etc.?

Brian Dentino

This is an amazing grouping! Congrats on snagging it. Any chance of seeing some more pics of his blues? I love em...and this is a real center piece of any collection! :thumbsup:

mike

incredible grouping and thanks for sharing with the forum members. perhaps i missed it somewhere in the following thread....but (question)--

how were you so lucky to obtain such a complete WW2 USMC grouping? was the veteran a relative, friend, neighbor, etc.?

Actually there is more to come! Just intense research and experience doing this kind of research. And most of all, LUCK!!!!

All honors to the Biggest Brother who passed away on January 2nd, Major Dick Winters of BOB! He was a great man and a gentle soul.

Mike

Another fantastic grouping Mike...I am glad you can share this with all the kids at school. Who knows how many might take up the hobby because of your display.

thanks my friend! The grouping will also be part of a pacific exhibit this late Spring and Summer. I hope to get a good many military folks from Fort Bragg area. It is a great way to remember the vets!

Cheers,

Mike

gooseandspoons

this is truely one awesome group!!! I told my wife she should get me a M1 like that and she just laughed at me :crybaby:

this is truely one awesome group!!! I told my wife she should get me a M1 like that and she just laughed at me :crybaby:

Hey GooseandSpoons, I would never ask my wife to buy me one! She hates them and wants me to sell them all!! Some of the collectors on this site have been the new owners of a few of my dear helmets! I've started hiding them in my office! :)

Cheers,

Mike

Thats a very important helmet , look after it well !!

owen

Thanks my friend! It is the helmet that is always most important to me!

Cheers,

Mike