Help!What is this belt holder?

michss

I have never seen one exactly like that but it dose appear to be a sword sling. It is worn under the jacket to support the weight of the sword so it can't be seen. There is a small slit on the side of Navy and Marine uniform jackets which the hanger passes through to attach to the sling.

I have never seen one exactly like that but it dose appear to be a sword sling. It is worn under the jacket to support the weight of the sword so it can't be seen. There is a small slit on the side of Navy and Marine uniform jackets which the hanger passes through to attach to the sling.

Marines??? is that true???this belt for enlisted or officer???

Officer. Yes. Having examined multiple officer jackets, dress and service, ALL have this slit in the left side for the sword.

It is, in fact, the officers sword sling.

Officer. Yes. Having examined multiple officer jackets, dress and service, ALL have this slit in the left side for the sword.

It is, in fact, the officers sword sling.

I'm still confusing...I think it's not Marines but Navy.if not,I think this should be used on the past officer All-white Dress Uniform.

So,would you mind to show any photos of real USMC officer wearing this kind of sling???

I'm still confusing...I think it's not Marines but Navy.if not,I think this should be used on the past officer All-white Dress Uniform.

So,would you mind to show any photos of real USMC officer wearing this kind of sling???

From MCO P1020.34F/Marine Corps Uniform Regulations/Sword and Accessories, Officers:

5. Shoulder Sword Sling

a. The shoulder sword sling consists of white cotton webbing with sliding shoulder pad, an adjusting buckle, and a sword attaching ring.

b. The sling is worn by male officers only when a coat is worn. It is worn beneath the coat, over the right shoulder extending across the torso, with the ring attachment over the top of the left hip-bone, at a point where the sword slit is located in the coat. The sling is worn so that the ring attachment protrudes through the sword slit of the coat, but so that the white webbing is not visible from the outside.

An additional photo from the auction you asked about showing the USMC approval number on the item in question:

post-5617-1295455211.jpg

Those approval numbers are only issued to material that meets USMC approved specs for uniform items. In other words, this is something intended for sale to a Marine.

This is a sword sling for a Marine officer, although it may also be of the same pattern as the slings worn by Navy officers. Since the sling is worn UNDER the coat, you cannot see it in use and, in fact, that's the whole idea. When a Marine officer wears dress blues (and the dress whites, before they were eliminated) with a sword, but without the "Sam Browne" belt, they use one of these slings to suspend the sword from.

Note the field grade officer at the center of this plate:

post-5617-1295455843.jpg

Still confused?

From MCO P1020.34F/Marine Corps Uniform Regulations/Sword and Accessories, Officers:

5. Shoulder Sword Sling

a. The shoulder sword sling consists of white cotton webbing with sliding shoulder pad, an adjusting buckle, and a sword attaching ring.

b. The sling is worn by male officers only when a coat is worn. It is worn beneath the coat, over the right shoulder extending across the torso, with the ring attachment over the top of the left hip-bone, at a point where the sword slit is located in the coat. The sling is worn so that the ring attachment protrudes through the sword slit of the coat, but so that the white webbing is not visible from the outside.

An additional photo from the auction you asked about showing the USMC approval number on the item in question:

post-5617-1295455211.jpg

Those approval numbers are only issued to material that meets USMC approved specs for uniform items. In other words, this is something intended for sale to a Marine.

This is a sword sling for a Marine officer, although it may also be of the same pattern as the slings worn by Navy officers. Since the sling is worn UNDER the coat, you cannot see it in use and, in fact, that's the whole idea. When a Marine officer wears dress blues (and the dress whites, before they were eliminated) with a sword, but without the "Sam Browne" belt, they use one of these slings to suspend the sword from.

Note the field grade officer at the center of this plate:

post-5617-1295455843.jpg

Still confused?

Oh,that's it! Thank you!